Looking for volunteer work - practicing speaking English with a native speaker

Guille A

Registered
Hi all,

I am in BsAs for 2 more months and am interested in volunteering. I was thinking I could offer a chance to speak with a native English speaker (me) in High School or University classes a couple of hours a week. This would give the students a chance to practice their listening and speaking skills. We could continue on Zoom when I return to the US, if they were interested.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions of how I can find this type of volunteer work. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Billy

I'm surprised that this has been up several hours now without Red expressing horror at a non-professional threatening to enter the English language teaching space, and without Quilombo chiming in to question the OPs worldview.

The basic rules for volunteering in developing countries: only do something you would be qualified to do in your home country; only do something that won't displace qualified local workers.

I am in BsAs for 2 more months and am interested in volunteering.

I don't think you will find an actual non-profit that is looking for volunteers to speak English with people who are interested in it. You can try online learning sites like italki.com, find some people from Buenos Aires and suggest to meet in real life. Or go to some language exchange groups and skip the "exchange" part, if you already know Spanish.

Back