Looking like a foreigner

JLL

Registered
Hey!

I'm coming to Bs As soon, and will stay for at least half a year while on an internship. I've read pretty much every active thread for the last year and a half, and aside from picking up many useful tips AND an incredibly negative image of the city, i was also left with a question.

In many of the crime related threads, people have posted that looking like a gringo will make you an easy target. Are there any easy steps to avoid this?

I've read to avoid wearing an expensive watch and be careful when you take out your electronics. I've also read that its advised to dress like the locals (so i'm planning to take few clothes and buy what i need when i arrive). Any other tips?

Thanks!

i will always look like a gringa no matter what i do. you don't have to try to "disguise yourself". common sense is the most important thing and you seem to be getting the idea of what not to do. it is important to learn about unsafe places/areas (e.g. plaza san martin which is the subject of another current thread). one common sense rule: if you are somewhere where there is nobody around, you shouldn't be there, either.

No no no no for the love of god don't buy clothes here. They will be double the price and 10 % the quality of wherever you come from.

I wouldn´t recommend wearing an expensive watch, purse or jewelry. I´m also careful with any electronics. As far as clothes, 99% of my clothes are from the US, and it´s no problem, especially considering many people here wear Converse, but are paying double for them here. You could be walking around in Jimmy Choo shoes, True Religion jeans, and a 3 year old Blackberry, and the only thing that would be likely to be stolen is the Blackberry, and it´s not because the clothes make you stand out as a foreigner... it´s just because there was a Blackberry visible.

Don't walk around with a DSLR hanging from your neck. Don't wear colorful clothes that scream that you're on holiday, except if they're cheap and bohemian. A Berghaus jacket will pretty much identify you as a European. Etc.

what wave said:
Don't walk around with a DSLR hanging from your neck. Don't wear colorful clothes that scream that you're on holiday, except if they're cheap and bohemian. A Berghaus jacket will pretty much identify you as a European. Etc.

Dnt forget north face jacket and colorful air jordans= north american tourist

for the love of god, wear THE RIGHT SIZE and not everything 2 or 3 sizes big. that's giveaway number one.

baseball cap with large t shirt equals tourist
same with wearing white socks and sneakers

Definitely buy clothes where you're at, especially shoes and jeans. Keep in mind the people dress a little schnazzy here, in a European way that's a little more laidback. So guys might want to rock a nicer shirt than a t-shirt and if you're a jeans and running shoe kind of girl, prepare to stick out like a sore thumb and feel kinda dumpy.

Buy all electronics where you're at.

As far as looking like foreigner, I think it's the cargo shorts or travel gear that are dead giveaways.

I'll look foreign no matter what I do. I think a good survival skill is to put on a "don't mess with me" attitude, like there would be a little work involved in extracting your possessions, but be ready to part with your belongings if an incident occurs, unless you are a special forces operative in full body armor with international amnesty to assault perpetrators. Some very poor people, some of them on drugs, want your cash and your smart phone, and some of them will produce a knife or gun, and that's what you've got to deal with.

A good measure of the incidents I hear about are when people are out drinking and going home alone, so watch that.

I really dont think the ¨standing out as a foreigner¨ applies unless you go the tacky tourist, shorts and flip flops route.

Argentinos, especially Porteños, are known to dress quite well, and wear name-brand stuff (some of it fake, the real stuff bought at 5 times the price of what it costs internationally) I dont really notice a difference from major US cities, to be honest with you.

Like said before, I think what will make you stand out the most, is pulling out flashy mobiles and gadgets in plan sight, than walking around (most) major areas of the city in nice clothes.

Back