Looking To Learn Spanish On A Budget

Stellaeve

Registered
We have recently arrived in BA and are very keen to learn Spanish.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the most affordable/economical way to learn? Wether through individual lessons or a group intensive? Some of the schools seem quite pricey.. And we are wondering what would be a reasonable price to expect to pay?
We are here for 5months staying in Almagro.

Ps. I am also a trained yoga/fitness instructor who would be happy todo exchanges for lessons.

The most economic way I know of (as a seasoned polyglot, I do know) is for free, for example here http://www.studyspanish.com/
That is, if you know how to do it, how to teach yourself. For most people, having a teacher to answer to is an important motivation, just like in fitness. Forget about schools, there it would take you years to get anywhere near fluent. Individual is always top. An alternative and more economic way is in a group of 2 or 3, of the same level, sharing the cost. Most teachers here (such as me) charge peanuts, between 100-200 pesos/hour. My best students get fluent from zero in about 2-3 months, just like myself.

The most economic way I know of (as a seasoned polyglot, I do know) is for free, for example here http://www.studyspanish.com/
That is, if you know how to do it, how to teach yourself. For most people, having a teacher to answer to is an important motivation, just like in fitness. Forget about schools, there it would take you years to get anywhere near fluent. Individual is always top. An alternative and more economic way is in a group of 2 or 3, of the same level, sharing the cost. Most teachers here (such as me) charge peanuts, between 100-200 pesos/hour. My best students get fluent from zero in about 2-3 months, just like myself.

Dada Excellent tutorial..... Fluency in Spanish for English Speakers in 3 months seems like an offer one can't refuse. People I know after 3 years can't make themseives understood...!

Use the search box to find posts by me about UBA (University of Buenos Aires) Español para extranjeros classes. They are good classes and priced well. They have a super intensive one in January and February, and then normal-length ones starting around March. http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/

I attend Lenguas Vivas in Retiro - 2 x 2hr classes a week for their regular course. This a 4 month programme and costs JUST 600 pesos (+ 150 pesos for the photocopied coursebook). The class has 9 students (but I think it can go up to 12), the teacher is great and she also teaches castellano at UBA. My friend has been doing the intensive courses (he started at basic level and is now on pre-intermediate). He has 8 hrs of classes a week for 2 months, which also costs 600 pesos I believe. We're both really happy with the classes. These courses are much cheaper than UBA, which I originally planned to attend and there are also people in my pre-advanced group who previously studied there - some of them complained that their UBA teacher just used to set them work and spend the rest of the time messaging on her mobile phone!

You need to take the initial test to determine your level. I guess that the new classes will start again after the summer hols in March. The admin dept is terrible! To get info for the dates of the tests/registration etc they have an office that opens from about 1.30pm I think.

http://wander-argentina.com/spanish-schools-in-buenos-aires/

I did one of those weeklong intensive group classes, and it was a waste of time and money. Most of the other students showed up late or hungover or ill prepared for the day's lessons, or all three. For my time and money, the best bet was to study privately with Adriana Crom. I learned far more from her in four hours of lessons a week than I did in a twenty hour a week class. Her prices are very reasonable and her quiet and well located apartment is the ideal learning environment. She also speaks excellent English, so she can clearly explain grammatical rules. I can't recommend her highly enough. Recommendations for her and contact info are all over this site.

Thank you all for taking the time to give me advice and recommendations. Much appreciated.
Stella :)

Back