Looks like they've started raiding the cuevas

I remember back when CFK was president, these raids would happen every so often just as a show more than anything. I wonder if this is the same thing, or pointing to something wider?

I remember back when CFK was president, these raids would happen every so often just as a show more than anything. I wonder if this is the same thing, or pointing to something wider?

The part I found odd is that they are using Gendarmeria. Bullrich used them as her personal stormtroops to beat up the Mapuche, but aside from that, they are normally assigned to border patrol duties. Perhaps it was thought that Policia de la Cuidad were all getting coimas from the cuevas and would tip them off?

Everyone knows even Doña Rosa...! knows that the volume traded in Cuevas in person downtown is a Very small amount , doesn't move the amp.
The large trades are done directly via other means , someone goes there to buy $100K with a suitcase of pesos?

It's more like a gesture ...!

The part I found odd is that they are using Gendarmeria. Bullrich used them as her personal stormtroops to beat up the Mapuche, but aside from that, they are normally assigned to border patrol duties.

You are right, Gendarmeria is supposed to patrol only the borders. However, they have the reputation of being the least corrupt police force, and for quite some time now they have been assigned other duties. For instance, Puerto Madero is so safe because it is patrolled by Gendarmeria, who don't sell nor tolerate "liberated zones" in the area. And San Isidro's infamous villa La Cava now has Gendarmes guarding the entrances. I drive past it often - there's a plaza in front which used to be deserted, as it was not safe. Since Gendarmeria set up a post there, it is full of children playing, and adults sitting around gossiping.

They use GN because they're not connected to the doors that will be kicked in. If they used the police the places would be warned before the cops could jump into their cars.

Anyways, these are usually smoke screens unless they're onto some specific bad guys.
More than ever, cuevas are functional to the current situation and those above the law.

Nothing we haven't experienced a thousand times before.

Iz

You are right, Gendarmeria is supposed to patrol only the borders. However, they have the reputation of being the least corrupt police force, and for quite some time now they have been assigned other duties. For instance, Puerto Madero is so safe because it is patrolled by Gendarmeria, who don't sell nor tolerate "liberated zones" in the area. And San Isidro's infamous villa La Cava now has Gendarmes guarding the entrances. I drive past it often - there's a plaza in front which used to be deserted, as it was not safe. Since Gendarmeria set up a post there, it is full of children playing, and adults sitting around gossiping.

The Prefectura patrols Puerto Madero as well. I've never seen Gendarmeria there, but I guess they have a presence too. Both of them are branches of the military, so as you said they are better trained and less corrupt than your common street cop.

I haven't been in a cueva for YEARS. Between friends and friends of friends who want to buy dollars and WU, or AirTM, who needs to bother with dealing with a cuevero/arbolito? And the tourists who don't know better are not allowed into the country so the cuevas are moving even less cash these days.

Back