Loosing citizenship

riz

Registered
I was wondering if anyone knows about this.
After naturalisation how long can you stay outside argentina?
I read that the maximum.allowed is 2 years. After that you loose the citizenship

I was wondering if anyone knows about this.
After naturalisation how long can you stay outside argentina?
I read that the maximum.allowed is 2 years. After that you loose the citizenship
Naturalized Argentine citizen can lose (not loose;) their citizenship in one of two ways:
(1) File a request before a federal judge to renouce their Arg citizenship.
(2) Be found guilty by a federal court of providing incorrect information as part of their citizenship application.

You can spend 100 years outside of ARG and nothing will happen.

The 2 years period is for permanent residence and that's not very tightly enforced but could obviously happen.

Also committing crimes such as facilitating human trafficking, slavery, participating in human rights abuses abroad, etc. IIRC

Also committing crimes such as facilitating human trafficking, slavery, participating in human rights abuses abroad, etc. IIRC
Really? Didn't know that. Do you have a source?

Really? Didn't know that. Do you have a source?
I double checked and it's from Ley 14.354, though sections of it have been repealed or ruled unconstitutional, but this is something a lawyer would know for sure.

I believe Article 19 still applies, at least for § A & C

(Though I think Macri's administration tried to revoke the citizenship of a Colombian guy who was convicted of drug trafficking but the courts threw it out, so it's probably just the highest crimes like treason against Argentina and human rights abuse/slavery/human trafficking or administrative crimes like lying to obtain your citizenship, etc.)

ARTICULO 19. - El argentino naturalizado pierde la nacionalidad adquirida:

a) Por haber ocultado hechos o circunstancias que, de ser conocidas en su oportunidad, hubieran impedido la naturalización.

b) Por realizar cualquiera de los actos que, según lo dispuesto en el artículo 6°, determinan la pérdida de la ciudadanía para el argentino nativo.

c) Por participar directa o indirectamente en el tráfico ilegal de estupefacientes, la trata de blancas o actividades penadas por el artículo 17 de la Ley 12.331.

d) Por realizar, dentro o fuera del país, actos que importen el ejercicio de su nacionalidad de origen.

Naturalized Argentine citizen can lose (not loose;) their citizenship in one of two ways:
(1) File a request before a federal judge to renouce their Arg citizenship.
(2) Be found guilty by a federal court of providing incorrect information as part of their citizenship application.

You can spend 100 years outside of ARG and nothing will happen.

The 2 years period is for permanent residence and that's not very tightly enforced but could obviously happen.
At my age everything becomes loose. Thank you very much for clearing this up

I double checked and it's from Ley 14.354, though sections of it have been repealed or ruled unconstitutional, but this is something a lawyer would know for sure.

(Though I think Macri's administration tried to revoke the citizenship of a Colombian guy who was convicted of drug trafficking but the courts threw it out, so it's probably just the highest crimes like treason against Argentina and human rights abuse/slavery/human trafficking or administrative crimes like lying to obtain your citizenship, etc.)

d) Por realizar, dentro o fuera del país, actos que importen el ejercicio de su nacionalidad de origen.
Clause “d” appears to be the only one a reasonable person could get tripped up on. I remember BajoCero commenting upon this a few years ago. Essentially if a naturalized Argentine citizen represents himself to an Argentine government authority to be a citizen of his country of origin (presenting document / passport of country of origin) his naturalized citizen status can be revoked.

a) Por haber ocultado hechos o circunstancias que, de ser conocidas en su oportunidad, hubieran impedido la naturalización.

b) Por realizar cualquiera de los actos que, según lo dispuesto en el artículo 6°, determinan la pérdida de la ciudadanía para el argentino nativo.

c) Por participar directa o indirectamente en el tráfico ilegal de estupefacientes, la trata de blancas o actividades penadas por el artículo 17 de la Ley 12.331.

It was abolished since 1956.
Decree 3213/84 says so but it is...also abolished but judges use it.
DNU 70/2017 was abolished by decree 138/2021.

At the precedents of SC they revoked citizenship to 1) Pimps; 2) weapons trafficker Al Kassar and his family; 3) Pablo Escobar family; 4) cases won by bribes (about 500 at Cordoba).

4) cases won by bribes (about 500 at Cordoba).
I'm assuming this was foreigners applying to naturalize as citizens and bribing judicial officials to expedite the process or ignore or falsify missing documents?

You lose perm residency after 2 yrs, not citizenship.

Back