Lost in the abyss of visa application

knutschis

Registered
Hey all,

Lots of posts about the nuts and bolts of visa/residency documentation, which have really helped, thanks.

Just wanted to get a sense check though, maybe your experiences might help me speed things up. So, this is where I'm at:

- Original birth certificate is in Australia
- Criminal record request is with the Australian Federal Police
- Criminal record request is with the Metropolitan Police Service, UK
- Criminal record request is with the FBI

All documents waiting for Apostille. My company's lawyers have said that with these documents (translated in Arg), I can get my interim visa status which means I can work. Full processing may take a little longer.

My main question is: does this sound right? Any chance I could get working status with, say, 2 out of the 3 criminal checks? Basically, is there anything else I or my company can do -- or do I have to keep playing the horrible waiting game... I want to move from the US to Arg asap.

Thanks all

I looks like you have lived in three countries in the past five years, hence the need for three reports? Are you applying for residency at an Argentine consulate or is your application being processed here? You may also need to obtain an Argentine police report after your arrival in Argentina before you receive residencia precaria. Then you should be able to work, even if full residency is still pending.

If you have (obviously) lived in three different countries in the past five years migraciones will want all three reports prior to granting the residency precaria. It really may not be necessary to provide all three reports. I spent a lot of time in Mexico in the five years prior to applying for my visa here and even had a Mexican multiple entry visa in my US passport along with a number of entry and exit stamps. I only provided a US report and no questions were asked, but I had maintained my legal residence it the US the entire time.

Thanks Steve, to clarify: Yep, 3 countries in the last 5 years. Australian passport and citizen, with UK and US work visas in current passport. I'm not looking at permanent residency at this point, simply applying for my work visa. But I'm not exactly sure what the residencia precaria status is, and what residency arrangement I'll need for the work visa (1-2 years)?

As Steve says above you only need a report from the countries that you have lived in over the last 5 years except your home country. You need your home country report only if you have visited in the last 5 years (and there is a stamp in your passport stating this).

ETA: It seem you replied again while I was writing. If you lived in these three countries you need a report from each country.

knutschis said:
Thanks Steve, to clarify: Yep, 3 countries in the last 5 years. Australian passport and citizen, with UK and US work visas in current passport. I'm not looking at permanent residency at this point, simply applying for my work visa. But I'm not exactly sure what the residencia precaria status is, and what residency arrangement I'll need for the work visa (1-2 years)?

Residencia precaria is what they give you when they accept your documents here. It can take up to a month after that to receive your temporary residency. You may be able to start working as soon as you have the precaria. Your work visa will be good for one year and is renewable. You can't apply for permanent residency for several years.

If you applying for your visa at an Argentine consulate the procedures could vary. If you are presenting your docs here in Argentina, be prepared to get an Argentine criminal report as well, even though you just arrived.

Thanks both, all makes sense. So it sounds like there is little chance of working status (on the precaria), without 3x criminal checks.

Do you think it would be worth pushing my lawyers to try?

knutschis said:
Thanks both, all makes sense. So it sounds like there is little chance of working status (on the precaria), without 3x criminal checks.

Do you think it would be worth pushing my lawyers to try?

If you residential history for the past five years is as clear as you indicate, probably not.

knutschis said:
Just wanted to get a sense check though, maybe your experiences might help me speed things up. So, this is where I'm at:

- Original birth certificate is in Australia
- Criminal record request is with the Australian Federal Police
- Criminal record request is with the Metropolitan Police Service, UK
- Criminal record request is with the FBI

All documents waiting for Apostille. My company's lawyers have said that with these documents (translated in Arg), I can get my interim visa status which means I can work. Full processing may take a little longer.

My main question is: does this sound right? Any chance I could get working status with, say, 2 out of the 3 criminal checks? Basically, is there anything else I or my company can do -- or do I have to keep playing the horrible waiting game... I want to move from the US to Arg asap.

Thanks all

You don't mention any documents to prove the visa category you will apply for. I assume you will be hired by a local company, and they will provide all the paperwork needed (employment contract, request note to the DNM, registration with the ReNURE, tax payment receipts, etc.).

If you're married, or have children, you will need additional documents to prove the relationship and obtain a visa for them as well.

Attorney in BA said:
You don't mention any documents to prove the visa category you will apply for. I assume you will be hired by a local company, and they will provide all the paperwork needed (employment contract, request note to the DNM, registration with the ReNURE, tax payment receipts, etc.).

If you're married, or have children, you will need additional documents to prove the relationship and obtain a visa for them as well.

I don't know the exact details of the visa type - it's a company transfer to BsAs, with a big multinational. So far, the lawyers assisting me have requested a full passport scan, original birth certificate (with Apostille), and the criminal checks. My operating company in BsAs is providing the work contract to the lawyers directly.

I believe that these documents will be sufficient to apply, and gain the precaria - with any additional docs to follow.

Does this sound about right? Are there particular questions you think I should ask the lawyers?

Many thanks

knutschis said:
I don't know the exact details of the visa type - it's a company transfer to BsAs, with a big multinational. So far, the lawyers assisting me have requested a full passport scan, original birth certificate (with Apostille), and the criminal checks. My operating company in BsAs is providing the work contract to the lawyers directly.

I believe that these documents will be sufficient to apply, and gain the precaria - with any additional docs to follow.

Does this sound about right? Are there particular questions you think I should ask the lawyers?

Many thanks

Yes.The lawyer/agent you are using will provide the relevant work documents to immigrations. You don't have to worry about that.

Back