Lovely Kitten needs a home

Anushka

Registered
Hi everyone! I have a beautiful 8 month cat called Pistaccio that is in need of a good permanent home. She was given to us as a rescue cat but since we are leaving for the UK she needs a home, as it is far to expensive to bring her with us.

She is extremely playful and affectionate and is the best cat companion you could imagine.

If you would like to see pictures or come and see her, please email me
[email protected]

Thanks!

This is nothing against the person who wrote this thread...who did specify that the cat was "given to them" but I've seen so many "Going home, someone needs to adopt my animal" threads (especially on Craigslist) over the past few months that I thought it was time someone said something!

Expats...need to STOP ADOPTING ANIMALS unless they're willing to make a long-term commitment. I get that most of these furries are rescue animals but still, I'm sure it would be a lot easier to get them adopted out to an Argentine family or permanent expat family as a kitten/puppy...then a few months/years later when they're grown and their adoptive human parents decide they want to go back and aren't willing to foot the bill...Not to mention how awful the animal must feel having to readjust to a new home (if they can actually find one!)

I waited five years before adopting my two rescue cats...and did some serious research into the hassle and finance that would be involved if I ever moved back to the UK...with them!

Pets are not a piece of furniture that can be got rid of on the cheap when your experience abroad comes to an end. Either be sure you're going to stay before adopting/buying a pet or commit to the financial burden of bringing the animal home.

It's so sad. My heart goes out for these poor little creatures.

I agree with you Ashley.

I've had a pet before and it wasn't " like " a part of my family, it was a part of my family. I couldn't imagine myself telling a member of my family " hey, it's been fun, you've given me all the love, affection and trust your little heart could but money is money so it's time to say goodbye ". It sounds so cold and heartless.

Pets are a lifelong commitment, not a toy to use while you're on vacation. If you're not willing to make that commitment, don't be selfish, let the pet find someone who really will love them and care for them forever.

Thanks Alex
Also be aware that it's not just a money issue. Bringing a cat or dog from Argentina to the UK is (at least) a SIX MONTH PROCESS - because of the UK rabies laws. The animal needs to be microchipped, vaccinated for rabies...then tested again by a Defra approved vet...and certified as healthy and rabies free. Either that, or the animal is quarantined for 6 months (with the owner footing the bill). I think it's a little quicker if you're retuning to the states...but still a bit of a hassle.

Ashley said:
I think it's a little quicker if you're retuning to the states...but still a bit of a hassle.

Returning to the States with a pet is no hassle at all. I used to shuttle back and forth with my dogs - all they need is a valid rabies shot, a vet's health certificate stamped by SENASA. Vets regularly have someone who does this for about a hundred pesos. If you want to do it yourself, it takes just forty pesos and fifteen minutes to get the exit form from Senasa, in Darsena Sud.

Traveling with pets can be expensive - airlines now charge two hundred dollars per crate. But the most important thing is that plane travel is VERY HARD on pets. I wouldn't put my dogs on a plane again, unless I was moving away.

I gotta say I agree with everyone here... It's pretty cruel to adopt an animal that you are going to ditch when it is no longer convenient and it seems to be a trend among ex pats lately. I know every situation is different... and this could be an exception to the rule. I have a dog here whom I adopted through a rescue group. You must be a resident to adopt an animal. And I think that is a necessary precaution. I hope the kitty finds a home (I am always tempted to rescue basically every animal I see up for adoption but I don't think a rambunctious dog and a 9th floor apartment with a balcony mix well with a kitten).

If forced to leave animals behind, do them and the world a favor and have them neutered. That gives them a much better chance of survival if they have to fend for themselves.

Once neutered, animals become eternal puppies: males are no threat to other males and don't get into fights, and females don't have one litter after another until they die. Not to mention the fact that they don't go on breeding more unwanted animals.

cabrera said:
To put a price on a loved one shows the cruelty of people who use animals as playthings and when there is a small expense involved they are dumped or given away as casually as a magazine or a book .

Oh, stop it.

There are too many homeless dogs and cats. Not all of them will ever have a home, and many of them will die on the streets or be euthanized.

The OP took the cat in because it had nowhere else to go. Now she can't take care of it anymore. Is this ideal? No, but neither is the former.

I don't think that anyone who takes an animal off the streets is cruel or devaluing the animal in anyway. I think just the opposite; The OP came here trying to find a new home for the cat, only to be attacked for her efforts.

I suppose the OP could just put the cat back on the streets. Would that suit you all?

Anushka, it worse comes to worst and you can't place your rescued cat, consider the Botanical Garden. It is cat-land - there are many of cats there, and lots of people go every night to feed them. It is not a home, but she won't starve there.

Sadly, not many people want kittens. My daughter is a cat lover - she currently has four, but people keep pressing her to take in more unwanted kittens.

She got cat door and now the neighborhood's free-roaming cats come over for dinner. Sometimes she gets home to find six or seven cats in her kitchen.

Read the original post. Anushka is going back to the UK, which has draconian pet quarantines. It is not a simple matter of paying for the cat's transportation, but of a strict six-month quarantine that can be murder for any animal.

Back