Mac Service...told My Only Option Is Uruguay?

tesstafarian

Registered
I have a Macbook Air that I purchased new 3 months ago. I'm having a major issue with the display (the computer boots up fine but the screen remains black) and need to get this baby serviced ASAP.

I took it to the Mac Station today and they told me that parts are really difficult to get right now and it could take them anywhere from 1 month to 1 YEAR if I left it with them to be serviced. The technician then suggested I drop it off at the Apple Store in Colonia as they have a normal (10 day) turn around time.

I've searched other threads and found contact info for the MacDaddy (Josh) but he's out of the country until March. I also saw your suggestions of other service stores but I'm curious if the Mac Station technician's comments were true?

Do I need to go to Uruguay to get this taken care of? Is there even a store in Colonia??? (locate.apple.com only pulls up retailers in Montevideo).

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

[background=rgb(232, 232, 232)]
MundoMac Store Colonia[/background]
[background=rgb(232, 232, 232)]
Rivera 169
Esq. 18 de Julio
Colonia del Sacramento
70000[/background]

Possible workaround:
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-490624628-cable-mini-displayport-to-vga-adapter-macbook-pro-air-orig-_JM

Also may or may not work depending on where the problem is occurring.

Sorry to thread jump, does anyone have a replacement until Josh gets back? It is a simple problem, internet is very slow and it is a new computer.

About a year ago I took my MacBook to Mac Soul/Santa Fe 1780 to get a new screen. At that time it took like 3 weeks but the screen (imported of course) was like 1K! So stupid..I should have just bought a new one but I wasn't going to be in the states for a while. The screen is starting to get all messed up again after just a year!! Ugh...Anyway - I think they are better than the mac stores although I think repairs in general suck here.

If purchased new I would call Apple Care in the states +1 (800) 275-2273. They may do a FedEx thing for you. If the first person you talk to turns you down, hang up and call again. The Apple people have a lot of leeway in what they authorize.

Tom

If purchased new I would call Apple Care in the states +1 (800) 275-2273. They may do a FedEx thing for you. If the first person you talk to turns you down, hang up and call again. The Apple people have a lot of leeway in what they authorize.

Tom

I literally just bought the IPhone 5s and raised servicing concerns with The Apple salesperson who said that "Apple prides itself on being international and providing support internationally, including via FedEx boxes". My excitement about purchasing the phone temporarily stopped my rational thinking processes...and then I realized they don't understand la vida argentina....who's going to pay the customs taxes and go to Ezieza when Apple RETURNS our serviced product back to us? Don't think THEY will!

Back