MacBook or PC Laptop in BsAs?

LAtoBA

Registered
Hello all:

Quick question. At the moment I am back in LA and I am in the market for a new laptop. I plan to use it like a desktop computer, for some business things and personal usage. I had a macbook before, which I really loved, however it was plagued with several problems, including a failed motherboard twice, battery issues, etc. In other words, I used my Applecare and then some.

I would love to get a macbook or macbook pro again but I have my doubts about being able to get it properly serviced or obtaining necessary parts in Buenos Aires, in the event that something goes wrong. Also, I would have to imagine that if I buy the laptop in the US applecare is only good in the US.

So my question to all of you out there is this. Is it just as easy to service a macbook as it is a PC laptop in Buenos Aires? What have been your experiences? Would love to hear from the macbook users who have had some problems as well as the PC laptop users and how they dealt with them, along with recommendations.

Thanks!

I saw at mercadolibre.com an used IBook G4 from 2005 at U$S 450. I know a very reliable and affordable service in BA, besides the MacStation available. Also, you can buy a brand new Dell in Argentina for a little more than U$S 1000, you only need to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery.

I own a Mac, and only had one problem in 5 years. I bought it in US.

Applecare is available worldwide. Does not matter where you purchase your Apple device, if you have AppleCare, you can take it to any authorised service centre and they will accept it.

There is a bit of a grey area with iPhones since you're supposed to go through your cell phone network provider for any repairs, rather than through Apple.

I've had no problems with any of my Apple gear here.

Hola,

Vasco is correct, you'll be covered here with the world wide Apple care warranty....BUT....if you do anything that will void the warranty such as an accidental liquid spill, a broken screen etc you will pay a lot more for replacement parts & most likely you'll find it harder to get those parts or at least there may be a delay in getting them.

With that out of the way, there are many other options that you may want to consider and one of them being the fact that you can now install OSX 10.6 Snow leopard on a PC Laptop. Just look it up in youtube.com & you'll see many videos of netbooks & laptops running OSX10.6.

I do these OSX 10.6 installations too. But we usually need to purchase a special wifi card that is compatible with OSX (US$25).

Best of luck.

Ricardo.

LAtoBA said:
Hello all:

Quick question. At the moment I am back in LA and I am in the market for a new laptop. I plan to use it like a desktop computer, for some business things and personal usage. I had a macbook before, which I really loved, however it was plagued with several problems, including a failed motherboard twice, battery issues, etc. In other words, I used my Applecare and then some.

I would love to get a macbook or macbook pro again but I have my doubts about being able to get it properly serviced or obtaining necessary parts in Buenos Aires, in the event that something goes wrong. Also, I would have to imagine that if I buy the laptop in the US applecare is only good in the US.

So my question to all of you out there is this. Is it just as easy to service a macbook as it is a PC laptop in Buenos Aires? What have been your experiences? Would love to hear from the macbook users who have had some problems as well as the PC laptop users and how they dealt with them, along with recommendations.

Thanks!

My daughter dropped her MacBook, and destroyed the motherboard. Brought it the macstation because I needed to get in writing that it could not be repaired (for the insurance). 24h later I got it back. New motherboard installed, all the data back (although they apologized because they put the photos on another location). All for free "under warantee. The MacBook was less then a year old, but as far as I know dropping it is not covered under the warantee...
So yes, a perfect service.

notebook.fix is very knowleagable about laptops, I truly trust him about it. Keep it on mind!!

Mahara said:
What is snow leopard?

snow-leopard.jpg

Snow leopards are native to the snow-covered mountain ranges of South Asia and Central Asia and are covered with a whitish fur, with black specks. :D

On this thread is the name of an operating system (software, MacOSX Snow Leopard) for Apple computers and possible to run also (by hacking) in a PC computer with an Intel-AMD x86 processors.

Cheers

Back