Mailing boxes or paying overweight luggage charges

Mahara

Registered
Hi

We've been here six months and are moving on at the end of Feb to Peru and Bolivia. I'm trying to decide whether it's cheaper to mail a box or two of our winter stuff/souvenirs, etc. to Canada or pay the overweight luggage charges. In a way I'd just like to get rid of it.

Has anyone done this, or more specifically, does anyone know in general whether it's cheap or expensive to mail boxes out of the country to Canada or the US?

Thanks

Overweight! in the long run probably cheaper and for sure less headaches than shipping! id go that way but check how much the airlines charge for it!

Either pay excess baggage or get rid of it. Well, sending it by mail is the same as getting rid of it with the added bonus of paying a lot for the privilege.

Keep the souvenirs.

Airline excess baggage charges vary a lot from one airline to the next. SF to BA is currently said to be usd 100 on AA, 180 on LAN and 600 on United, for the same single excess baggage unit, i.e one 55 lb bag. Its hard in practice to get them to quote the price in advance - they can change it on you without notice.

Consider just paying an extra US$100 (at least, that was the price the last time I did it in early 2010) for an extra suitcase, depending on how much stuff you have. You might even have enough room left over to bring even more things back with you, and not have to worry about the capacity that your current suitcases can hold.

Trust me, nothing is worth risking it being lost in the unreliable mail system (been there, done that).

Either paying for an extra suitcase or paying for an overweight bag is definitely the way to go!

Back