Mailing Food/used Technology To Bsas?

csparson

Registered
I'm studying abroad here for the semester, and I'd like to have my parents mail me some things from the United States: chief among them, (1) Boxed, packaged, sealed cereal and (2) a really old, but functioning, Tablet Computer.

What is the best way to go about doing this? Should we try to hide the tablet in the box of cereal (to prevent being stolen?) Should we declare that there is food and used technology?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Cameron

Your best bet is probably to get someone to bring it down for you, that is, if you know of anyone coming to Buenos Aires soon.

Sending it by mail means taking the risk that it will 1) never arrive or 2) having it held up by customs and having to travel to get it and/or pay for its release.

agreed. only send the tablet if you are ok if you never get it. the cereal will proably pass, but you might need to pick it up (lots of time and money).
if you want to send, use certified mail, not fed ex or dhl. Why? if it gets held up with regular mail you go to the post office, their fines are reasonable and they are located in retiro.
dhl and fed ex you have to go to EZE, and their fines are EXPENSIVE, but they probably won´t give it to you. A client sent us HD cassette tapes, we hired a customs guy, and he couldn´t get it out, was told "panasonic is forbidden to enter Argentina"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, this wont be what you want to hear, but write the cereal off. Forget about it, put it on a list of stuff you can survive without. It isnt worth the hassle. By the time it gets here you'll be back in the states. If the tablet isnt coming with someone travelling down you would be risking not seeing it....or paying more than its worth to post it.

What kind of cereal are you looking for? While there isn't as much variety here as the states, quite a few can be found (or at least something somewhat similar.) Jumbo supermarket has a pretty good selection - Cheerios, Special K, granola, oatmeal and sugary ones like Froot Loops. No Capt Crunch or Lucky Charms, though. :) Sometimes it's hit or miss for a particular brand and a lot of the local brands aren't as good as the original, but some aren't bad.

I wouldn't risk sending the tablet at all.

If you want to pay air freight , no customs , no duties , have it within a week.

My lovely mummy sends me packages that get delivered by the local correo to the door. Rules are that it has to be under 500g (keep it light the first time as a test) and in plain packaging sent by regular mail without signature. So nothing valuable, she sends me t-shirts and food, books for the kids, haven't had any problems with anything going astray for the last couple of years.

My lovely mummy sends me packages that get delivered by the local correo to the door. Rules are that it has to be under 500g (keep it light the first time as a test) and in plain packaging sent by regular mail without signature. So nothing valuable, she sends me t-shirts and food, books for the kids, haven't had any problems with anything going astray for the last couple of years.

I have just turned green with envy! Am waiting on various 'light' xmas packages to arrive still. Those reindeer socks are never making it over from Ireland.

Farenheit where is she sending from... from use of mummy I'm assuming UK but hoping your a Canadian like me that uses the U.... if so, who does she post with on the other end, my mum always seems to have problems!

I have just turned green with envy! Am waiting on various 'light' xmas packages to arrive still. Those reindeer socks are never making it over from Ireland.

I've some Percy Pigs doing the rounds in Bsas the last 5 years...hope the b**ards that swiped them from my kiddies mouths appreciate the manna that is M&S sweets.

Back