Making Friends at Work---HARD

bmagda

Registered
Hi All!

So, I just started my job, and the people are super nice, but I can't seem to make myself ask them for a drink after work or to meet up. I also freeze up conversation-wise. Any tips?

You just have to socially active, after work office are really, really common here

You've got to become a lot less timid! Buenos Aires is not an easy place for even outgoing people to make friends...

I brought in some homebaked cookies a couple of times and I had more people talking to me than I knew what to do with. My closet friends here are from work.
Good luck.

Posting on here is an excellent way to start. I just started last week and I was totally in the same boat where just about everyone I knew was from work. Last week I posted on this website and took the chance to visit a Spanglish event. I added new facebook friends from the posts that people sent me and met up on Friday with a friend who brought his friends. Suddenly in one week I have broadened my social network here in BA. You do need to take some chances and get out but the BA expat events and Spanglish (just search for that in this forum and there is plenty of information so I won't cover it) are great places to start because we are like you. Feel free to PM me.

Hang in there! You are not alone in this big city! There are plenty of friends out there waiting to meet you :)

that was harsh

PhilipDT said:
Is this just a problem here or has it always been a problem? In other words, do you want recommendations for a psychotherapist or for a spanish teacher?

PhilipDT said:
Is this just a problem here or has it always been a problem? In other words, do you want recommendations for a psychotherapist or for a spanish teacher?

You always want to analyse others and make your judgements silly man . What is your background?

bmagda said:
Hi All!

So, I just started my job, and the people are super nice, but I can't seem to make myself ask them for a drink after work or to meet up. I also freeze up conversation-wise. Any tips?

I want to focus on the question and the person looking for friends.

Hi! Welcome to BA Expats where you can make some really good contact with people just like you that are far from home and looking to meet people to hang out with and share ideas. I sent you a Private Message so please know that I just started on this site last week and I have already grown my social network and you have done the first great step just by saying that you want help. Great Job!!

Hang in there. There are lots of fun people here waiting to meet you too not just the people at work who may have their own lives with wives, husbands, kids, family, etc.

ellbee said:
that was harsh
Not really. Okay, maybe a little. But if the OP does find it hard to talk to people generally then that is a personal issue rather than a BA one, and if it's affecting their social life is something to address longer term.

Back