Making Maple Syrup

Gringoboy

Registered
I finally know how this stuff is made and what all the fuss is about.
The traditionalist gets my vote.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27326809

Actually, sorghum syrup beats maple syrup hands down. That stuff will make your tongue slap your brain!

*sigh* you guys are making me hungry and a bit depressed... if you've never tried it, MAPLE BACON ROCKS over BBQ'd home-made beer burgers. Sadly, Argentina is neither abundant in maple nor decent bacon <_< .
This alone is worth moving back home.

IMG_2639.JPG

I remember trudging around though the melting snow as a kid, taping trees and hanging buckets at my god fathers property in vermont. I also remember that for as good as the syrup is that the raw uncooked sap is pretty nasty.

the sap is basically water. It taste like sweet water. You cannot keep the sap and have to processes it the same day or it will ferment. Then it smells and taste like expired milk. That is probly what you remember.

Actually, sorghum syrup beats maple syrup hands down. That stuff will make your tongue slap your brain!

SORGHUM! Heavenly stuff! Give me a plate of grits with patty sausage and hot buttered biscuits, then pour on the sorghum! Mmmm. Nothing like it!

SORGHUM! Heavenly stuff! Give me a plate of grits with patty sausage and hot buttered biscuits, then pour on the sorghum! Mmmm. Nothing like it!

Yes ... and we pronounced it "sA-gum, no matter how it's spelled. :)

Back