Making The Move In February! Tips Please! :)

nickel_penney

Registered
Hey all!!

I have just recently decided to make the move to Buenos Aires at the start of Feb. Any advice as I am prepping for the move?! I have started a refreshers course in Spanish (with emphasis on learning the Argentine accent). I am looking for an apartment - preferably in Palermo. and also looking for a school to continue my Spanish once I get there.

Any other tips for planning / things I need to do before I go / places I need to visit are welcome. :)

Thanks! and looking forward to actually meeting up with some of you when I arrive.

Nicole

For Spanish, my favorites (also the cheapest) were the UBA español para extranjeros courses: http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/

To get from the airport to Palermo, use Manuel Tienda Leon. They have a window inside Ezeiza airport. It's about US$20 and they take US dollars. Alternatively you can take a taxi, they'll probably try to charge you US $100, more or less depending on how bad your Spanish is.

When you arrive, go to coffee chat (watch the forum for threads like this) and ask all your questions.

Get a Schwab account unless you are happy paying 96 pesos for every ATM withdrawal.

thanks!

thats a lot of money each time! If I bring enough cash to last me the two months.. do you think that could work and I can exchange it there? I have heard the best bet is to avoid doing so at banks because they dont give you the best rates.

not sure how i feel about using a black market though. Let me know! and thanks again!

nickel_penny :
Are you only planning to stay for 2 months? If so,just bring enough USD in $100s in perfect condition and use a cueva.
I got AR$ 16.70 today. Why would you want to hassle eith a bank ?

Given the chance again I would have filled the empty space in our container with decent coffee, tea, pipe tobacco,tins of baked beans,maple syrup,etc etc. I don't often get homesick but I do miss the things I took for granted in the UK that are impossible/difficult/ridiculously expensive to get here.

Thanks! I will definitely bring coffee then! I dont think I could go without that :)

Given the chance again I would have filled the empty space in our container with decent coffee, tea, pipe tobacco,tins of baked beans,maple syrup,etc etc. I don't often get homesick but I do miss the things I took for granted in the UK that are impossible/difficult/ridiculously expensive to get here.

I just brought cash (dollars) and go to a bank for pesos. the Superveille on Honduras and Juan Justo. Pack the second suitcase with things you can't find here like peanut butter for me and coffee for you.; I also brought razors, shaving creme, contact solution etc...thinking they were more expensive here but haven't really checked out the prices for such items. Safe travels. I took a remis from the airport and thought it was right outside customs and i thought it was $50USD? that was only 2 months ago. they do have uber but not sure if it goes to the airport...i have taken an uber to the other airport AEP which is near Palermo.

Thank you all!! super helpful info!

Any tips on what do for a cell phone while I am there? I looked into some plans and they all seem a bit pricey. Not sure if you can manage without a smartphone in BA but I would be willing to try it for a bit.

Back