Making Women Feel More Comfortable Here (Women's Only Poll)

Do you sometimes feel uncomfortable reading posts posted in the BA Expats forums?

• Yes

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

internationalguy

Registered
During coffee chat, Joe and I discussed creating this poll in order to find out what makes women more uncomfortable about the typical male behavior we see as a part of BA Expats's daily life. Women are often made extremely uncomfortable either by conflict, ego trips among members, excess testosterone, or even unwelcome advances. Guys are welcome to post but it would be in everyone's best interest if only women vote.

Reactions: Joe
Why aren't the women responding?

"What bothers you the most? Conflict in general? Ego trips? Unkind attitudes towards newcomers?"

Actually, I find those are often the most entertaining things in the forum. My advice to my fellow feminine sex, don't take yourself too seriously. PC, unwanted advances, machismo, etc. Laugh it off. Life's too short.

Why aren't the women responding?

"What bothers you the most? Conflict in general? Ego trips? Unkind attitudes towards newcomers?"

Actually, I find those are often the most entertaining things in the forum. My advice to my fellow feminine sex, don't take yourself too seriously. PC, unwanted advances, machismo, etc. Laugh it off. Life's too short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-exRJSSmZE

I cast my vote. I am not bothered by cock fights, they are just as sad as cat fights.
But some know it all attitude toward newcomers makes me uncomfortable, there is always someone who has been here longer, knows South America better or has more "real" argentine relatives, etc.

What makes it funny, it is the US-centrism of some contributions. Those along the lines "why can't it be like in the US?". This is why I don't think I will ever attend to a forum meeting.

I don't ever feel unwelcome, but I do find it to be a somewhat antagonistic forum. I think also the fact that it is dominated by English speakers (which is quite natural, nothing wrong with that in general) can make it feel somewhat hostile to people whose English is less fluent, because it is sometimes hard to keep up with the banter of the English speakers, understand the jokes etc. (I lived in the US for ten years so I feel I understand the jokes and the cultural references, but to many people it will be difficult to understand.)

And as Ron Burgundy says above here, the US centrism is quite fascinating. I totally understand the need to vent frustrations and curiosities, but to some people (and they may be very few, just very vocal) I really want to say "if it is so bad here, go back to where you come from then!" I don't think many people on this board are refugees or asylum seekers so most should be able to go back to their countries if they are not happy. Yes, I think the government is a disaster etc etc but I am here voluntarily and try to have all the fun I can.

On the other hand I have always gotten cordial and quick answers to my questions here, so thank you for that! Much appreciated. But I do try to only chime in on specific things because I don't want to be sucked into the negativity.

By scaring women away (and scaring Argentinos away as well) the forum tends to have a Euro/Yanqui Male bias which makes it less interesting, less diverse and less useful.

My suggestions:

1) Men should steer clear of the women's forum.
2) Men should not proposition women in any form on this forum - joking or otherwise
3) Men should not talk about stereotypical women
4) Men should not talk about their romantic adventures and conquests

I love stirring the pot more than anyone but I don't think any of the above is necessary, useful nor entertaining.

Back