Malvinas, Islas Britanicas....?? A Gaffe...!! Major Blooper

Rich One

Registered
During an Interviewed with a BBC correspondent Foreign Secretary Timmerman said; .... Es el fin del colonialismo en las Islas Britanicas.... err Islas Malvinas or translated; i'ts the end of Colonialism in the British Isles ... er er Islas Malvinas...!! A Blooper...!!

http://www.infobae.c...s-Malvinas.html

During an Interviewed with a BBC correspondent Foreign Secretary Timmerman said; .... Es el fin del colonialismo en las Islas Britanicas.... err Islas Malvinas or translated; i'ts the end of Colonialism in the British Isles ... er er Islas Malvinas...!! A Blooper...!!

http://www.infobae.c...s-Malvinas.html

Possibly but we do have a series of referendums coming up :)

but Colonialism will never be vanquished until Cornwall has independence oh and the Isle of Wight too

Possibly but we do have a series of referendums coming up :)

but Colonialism will never be vanquished until Cornwall has independence oh and the Isle of Wight too

Wight is wight (1969) - Hippy-py - Dylan is Dylan - Viva Donovan

Timmerman got it right for a change. The islands are indeed British and that is how the people who live there want it. When Argentina invaded the islands with the intent of forcing a miserable dictatorship on an innocent people, Britain defended the right of the islanders to decide for themselves what they want. Why on earth would they want to join a country like Argentina.? CFK's rotten style of ruling is hadly going to wn them over.

Ok I'm going to contribute my penny's worth here because this forum is the only place where I feel safe to do so ... I never go there in the company of natives, because it's such a taboo subject among Argentines, regardless, in my experience, of their ideological colour or outlook.
I was gobsmacked by the sheer childishness of Timermann's reaction to the notion of having Falkland/Malvinas residents present at a discussion with the British Foreign Minister. The use of the term 'colonos malvinenses' is a mind-numbing hypocrisy from whatever way I can conceivably look at it. What difference is there between them and the Welsh who live in Trelew? or any Argentine who isn’t a descendent of the pueblos originarios? The indisputable fact is that the entire population of region are ‘colonos’ except for the Tehuelches, and nobody, absolutely nobody, in this country are remotely interested in recognising any right of self-determination for them. Before using that kind of language, Timermann would do well to recognise that he and the vast majority of Argentines are by this logic ‘colonos’.
It’s sad to see that sabre-rattling about the Malvinas is still such an unavoidable requirement for any Argentine politician. The simple fact of a diplomat refusing to talk to people with whom his government is in dispute demonstrates that being seen to be tough is the objective, not finding a resolution that would make anybody’s lives better. So infantile!
I’m disappointed that, except for a few muffled voices (Jorge Lanata is one, although quite a headbanger on other issues), nobody has had the courage to start a debate in this country. I’m particularly perplexed by the Argentine left for parroting a load of cliché that implicitly results in an apology for the actions of a fascist dictatorship. A few months ago the BBC interviewed people at a ‘Quebracho’ demonstration outside the British embassy. The reporter asked “don’t you think the residents of the islands have rights?”. The answer was: “nosotros tambien tenemos derechos”… Great… for these ‘anti-imperialists’, it is their ‘right’ that other people, who live thousands of kilometres away on a windswept, rain-sodden sheep plain, because they want to and because they call it home, should have to go and f**k themselves.
As a person who identifies emotionally and intellectually with the left, I feel embarrassed when I hear twaddle like this, and in my view the failure to rise above it is (another) disappointing aspect of this government. For me, one of the indisputable achievements of Kitchnerismo has been the ending of impunity for human rights abusers and the restoration democratic due process. A logical and progressive break from their fascist predecessors would have been to recognise that the Falklanders, who like many of those who back Kirchnerismo, also looked down the gun barrel of the fascist regime. They, and the dead on both sides from the 1982 conflict, were also its victims. What democratic Argentina should now be saying, and demonstrating, is that the fascist phase is over. Concrete offers of cooperation – the exact opposite of the current policy – lowering tension, building confidence, demonstrating that this Argentina is different, without renouncing Argentina’s historic claim, would be much more likely to bear some medium-term fruit on the sovereignty issue.

The fascist era is NOT over. It is very much alive only it is now an updated version of fascism but still based on AUTHORITARIANISM, a complete DISRESPECT for democracy, INTIMIDATION and AGGRESSION. The current leaders can not get away with mass detentons and killing - Argentina has changed too much for that - but politicians are just as self-serving, short sighted and INFANTILE as ever. You must keep in mind that critical thinkng is not a noted characteristic of many Argentines. Logic? What's that?

I repeat; The attempt to "recover" south Atlantic islands that have been in British hands for nearly two hundred years was nothing more than a vicious attack on an innocent people whom Argentina wanted to be subject to a murderous, totalitarian dictatorship. Any rational person would hardly want to commemorate such a despicable event. Now CFK has revived the false claim to the islands. What does she have to offer the islanders? A stable, transparent democratic government to replace the one run by the UK? A high standard of living? Economic freedom? Will the new gay marriage law apply to the Falklands? If so, CFK can't even trump Britain on that one! As I said before, Argentina at ths point has NOTHING but trouble to offer the Falklands, The logical trade relationship, based on georaphical proximity, is negated by the horrendous economic measures adopted by the CFK government and the long standing inconsistency and instability of Argentine governments. Timmerman and his cohorts can contnue sabre rattling but they wll get nowhere. Britain can not allow innocent people to be compelled to endure Argentne rule. When Argentna straightens itself out, once several decades of stability and sanity make it clear that there is a genuine change for the better, then and MAYBE then will the Falklanders CONSIDER joining with Argentna. To do so now would be insanity.

I'm not sure if the clip below is completely inappropriate for this post or totally fitting... Or maybe both.
In any case, everyone loves The Simpsons, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJrltgxNxM

Its sad how most of the population here believes they belong to Argentina then gloss over the fact that 1000s of natives were killed here.

Back