Margaritas?

jjsto

Registered
Does anyone know a place to get frozen lime juice concentrate and/or a good margarita mix? I am sick of lemon flavored margaritas and would like to make one at home without mashing up a bunch of limes...

I wish (and would love if someone knows of something). Unfortunately the only way I know of to get a really good margarita here is to make your own simple syrup (easy! you can even infuse it with kumquat or lime for some extra flare) + liqueur + juicing your own limes. The best pre-processed juice I know of is the lemon cirtic for cooking, but as you said you are sick of lemon margaritas I can't offer any solutions other than dealing with juicing your own limes. Good luck, and enjoy! A good margarita is the best.

There's no such thing as a good margarita mix.

A good margarita has 3 ingredients: fresh lime juice, tequilla and your choice of Grand Marnier, Triple Sec, Cointreau or any good orange liquore.

Get a lime squeezer and it goes fast.

So, I went to the store and bought 2 kilos of limes, the best juicer you can buy for 5 pesos, and a bottle of Hesperidina (since they had no triple sec and cointreau was $150.) Did a ratio of 2:1:1 (tequila, hesperidina, lime juice) and poured it in a cup with a bunch of ice. I also added a little bit of sugar to the lime juice. Not too bad for a first attempt.

Thanks for the advice...

A bit of trivia / Hesperedina is the oldest registered Argentine brand / or so I was told at a party one night

Your second attempt will be better if you make a sugar syrup instead of using granules straight. 1:1 ratio sugar to water (or 1:.5, I like mine a little less sweet). You just melt it down and cool it before using. Good stuff! :)

I disagree with the sugar and simple sugar. If you want it sweeter, just add more of the orange liquore. The best ratio is 1:1:1, but I like slightly less orange.

Margaritas are one of the things I miss most when in Argentina. Good tequila is hard to come by and outrageously expensive, my favorite orange liquore, Patron, isn't there at all and the limes are not that great.

In California for a few weeks and making up for lost time!

Well, JB, maybe you're sweet enough already. ;)
Me, I'll stick with my method and have had no complaints! Then again, I'm not shelling out for Cointreau here, if I did that would work for me too...

Everyone has their favorite recipe, and as a Margarita fanatic I'm quite attached to mine. After decades of drinking Margarita's across many continents and especially in Mexico, i met a guy, a cocktail perfectionist, who taught me this one. I'm pretty sure it's why we're still together;)

Back