Marriage with an expired tourist visa?

amcarey

Registered
Hello all,
Does anyone know if it is possible to get married to an Argentine if my 3 month tourist has already expired? Any information would really help.
Thanks!

I tried to do this last year and was refused - It also states on the civil registry website that a foreigner must have a valid tourist visa.
I'm guessing that some people slip through the net so you can give it a go. I guess it would be an absolute pain in the neck though if they let you book your wedding and then turned you away on the day after double-checking.
If I were you, I'd just leave the country, re-enter, and then book it no problem - If they give you hassle upon re-entry, you could always plead your case then. They might be more sympathetic...

On my computer, the display of your thread title read like this:

Married with an
expired tourist

And I thought- "Wow.... Now THAT'S disturbing."

PS- Don't know the answer to your question.

Well, I called a few weeks ago and they told me that there is no problem about that. However, if they do have, it can be easily solved. Regards

Right, the "law" specifies that you have to have a valid tourist visa to get married. Plus; they ask for a photocopy of your last entry stamp, so they would notice. Anyway, if you are planning on applying for residency afterwards, I'm pretty sure you need to have time left on you visa. Good luck!

I got married on the last day of my visa. The woman (6 years ago) at the registro civil in downtown said that by law they have to notify migraciones if an illegal alien is married but that they never do anything about it.

I now have a friend who was married while on a tourist visa and has since been here (about a year) with just the marriage licence which automatically entitles you to a DNI —at least as far as I know.

kellymp said:
Right, the "law" specifies that you have to have a valid tourist visa to get married. Plus; they ask for a photocopy of your last entry stamp, so they would notice. Anyway, if you are planning on applying for residency afterwards, I'm pretty sure you need to have time left on you visa. Good luck!

The law says that foreigner have the right to get married. There is nothing about having a valid I-94.

If they ask for that they are wrong and It can be fixed.

Regards

JoeBlow said:
I got married on the last day of my visa. The woman (6 years ago) at the registro civil in downtown said that by law they have to notify migraciones if an illegal alien is married but that they never do anything about it.

I now have a friend who was married while on a tourist visa and has since been here (about a year) with just the marriage licence which automatically entitles you to a DNI —at least as far as I know.

The abolished immigration law enacted by a genocidal said so, the new law says nothing about it.

http://old.clarin.com/diario/2004/01/05/o-02502.htm

Regards

Thank you everyone for your responses. You've been most helpful!

Back