Massa's Plan to Boost Dollar Revenue

They could close the gap by devaluation. Then tourists would only have one rate to exchange at.

They could close the gap by devaluation. Then tourists would only have one rate to exchange at.
It wouldn't be even a devaluation. Just going back to the free market rate, like it was in Macri times.

But this way the government would lose an ability to take advantage of a privileged spread, that it artificially created.
I would say raiding a few exchange agencies and confiscating dollars is more probable.

It wouldn't be even a devaluation. Just going back to the free market rate, like it was in Macri times.

But this way the government would lose an ability to take advantage of a privileged spread, that it artificially created.
I would say raiding a few exchange agencies and confiscating dollars is more probable.
In 2014 there was a 22% devaluation by Kicillof. They didn't lift the cepo, the blue still existed. On the day of the devaluation, the price of everything went up all at once. The blue went up for about a week, then went down about 10% below where it was before the devaluation and stayed there for about nine months. It's probably necessary, probably long overdue, but it's political poison. Everybody loses.

In 2014 there was a 22% devaluation by Kicillof. They didn't lift the cepo, the blue still existed. On the day of the devaluation, the price of everything went up all at once. The blue went up for about a week, then went down about 10% below where it was before the devaluation and stayed there for about nine months. It's probably necessary, probably long overdue, but it's political poison. Everybody loses.
The question is how can Massa close the gap. Devaluation is an option... Not one that I think they'll take but at the end of the day is the only way out of the exchange gap.

Yes, but I don't think that's what they had in mind. It may prove to be the only option.

It's most likely some convoluted scheme that would last 1 week.

Just going back to the free market rate, like it was in Macri times.

Yeah that worked out great too haha

so far his proposal is, stop overspending. what a solution.

Back