Mate cup.....

TERKILD

Registered
Hey,

Anybody knows anyone that handcraft exclusive mate cups in calabasa and leather? (Im not talking about the 40-80 peso ones they sell on the markets!)
Must be possible to have someone hancraft a nice one, in the right size, with the leather of choice etc.
Please, if anybody knows where to get one custom made, let me know!
Thanks!

Any good place to buy nice mate cups and bombillas?

Not very expensive..but still smart and stylish..made of leather and wood?

Go to Arandú, they have several shops in Capital. They are from San Antonio de Areco and they can also custom-make items of your choice. Personally, I find their main shop in Paraguay 1259 the best furnished.

Here you are the mate pages (8 pages) with prices, here's the list of shops.

Go to Arandú, they have several shops in Capital. They are from San Antonio de Areco and they can also custom-make items of your choice. Personally, I find their main shop in Paraguay 1259 the best furnished.

Here you are the mate pages(8 pages) with prices, here's the list of shops.

Are these prices the real prices or inflated prices. Do you think it will be possible to get similar designs at half the prices somewhere? Thanks

Are these prices the real prices or inflated prices. Do you think it will be possible to get similar designs at half the prices somewhere? Thanks

Well, you said you didn't want the cheap 80 pesos mates... they are priced accordingly (they have leather, alpaca inserts, etc.). It is not a cheap brand but it is high quality compared to the average talabarteria.
Another brand worth looking into is Cardon Talabarteria, one block from Alvear hotel. But prices are similar to Arandú.

If you simply want to sip mate, the decoration is all extra stuff.

Well, you said you didn't want the cheap 80 pesos mates... they are priced accordingly (they have leather, alpaca inserts, etc.). It is not a cheap brand but it is high quality compared to the average talabarteria.
Another brand worth looking into is Cardon Talabarteria, one block from Alvear hotel. But prices are similar to Arandú.

If you simply want to sip mate, the decoration is all extra stuff.

you are right. I dont want the cheap "made in China" stuff. I wanted aesthetic stuff like these but at right price as I wanted to buy a lot of them.

I'd suggest to visit the San Telmo open air market next Sunday, then.

Go to Once, and there are a half dozen wholesalers of mates and other gaucho style stuff, in a range of quality and price levels. Usually, if you buy 500 pesos or so worth, you get wholesale prices.
But, if you truly want custom made, one of a kind, you pay MORE than retail.
Aint no free lunch. Craftsmen cost money. Mass production is cheap. Choose one.

Back