May Money-Saving Challenge

Noruega

Registered
So I thought this might be fun if someone wants to join, it is something we do on a forum I belong to in Norway: To spend less and/or save money, it can help to feel accountable to someone, even if it is someone online. So basically, we set a spending limit per day (or week, whatever works) and then report in to say if we made it or not. You can either write an actual amount ("I will not spend more than x pesos"), and share that, or simply set an amount and just say if you kept within it or spent more. ("Today I went above my limit.")

We can also share good cost saving tips (a good deal at the supermarket, a particularly delicios recipe for guiso de lentejas) and ideas on how to deal with social spending, friends/family visiting from abroad, etc.

I haven't set my actual limit yet but I know I need to be frugal now that I have moved from the campo to the city and there are options to spend everywhere! I do love to cook so that helps but I feel I blow the budget when I go out.

Anyone wants to join me? :)

Edited to add: I leave rent, expenses, and telephone out of this, so this is spending on food, incidentals, clothes, Sube, taxis, etc.

So I thought this might be fun if someone wants to join, it is something we do on a forum I belong to in Norway: To spend less and/or save money, it can help to feel accountable to someone, even if it is someone online. So basically, we set a spending limit per day (or week, whatever works) and then report in to say if we made it or not. You can either write an actual amount ("I will not spend more than x pesos"), and share that, or simply set an amount and just say if you kept within it or spent more. ("Today I went above my limit.")

We can also share good cost saving tips (a good deal at the supermarket, a particularly delicios recipe for guiso de lentejas) and ideas on how to deal with social spending, friends/family visiting from abroad, etc.

I haven't set my actual limit yet but I know I need to be frugal now that I have moved from the campo to the city and there are options to spend everywhere! I do love to cook so that helps but I feel I blow the budget when I go out.

Anyone wants to join me? :)

Edited to add: I leave rent, expenses, and telephone out of this, so this is spending on food, incidentals, clothes, Sube, taxis, etc.

I could use some hints on Norway, as I'm flying to Oslo at the end of May.

I'm curious to know how many members in your forum participate in this "self monitoring game of home economics" (for lack of a better exp<b></b>ression).

I think it could be quite interesting to follow a relatively small group of individuals who were dedicated to doing this (like watching a reality TV show) but if too many were involved it could quickly become difficult to follow.

Perhaps a few members here would be wiling to participate.

I'm not a good candidate because I only shop in the local shops a couple times a weeks and in the nearby cities a few times a month, otherwise, I'd love to participate..

I'm curious to know how many members in your forum participate in this "self monitoring game of home economics" (for lack of a better exp<b></b>ression).

I think it could be quite interesting to follow a relatively small group of individuals who were dedicated to doing this (like watching a reality TV show) but if too many were involved it could quickly become difficult to follow.

Perhaps a few members here would be wiling to participate.

I'm not a good candidate because I only shop in the local shops a couple times a weeks and in the nearby cities a few times a month, otherwise, I'd love to participate..
Hihi, I like the reality show idea! :) I have always liked doing this kind of stuff, regardless of my income level, because as we know, it is common to almost automatically adjust expenses up when we have more money. So when I was making good money, I still tried to keep tab and stick to a rough budget, that way I was able to save a lot. Now I am making much less and want to make sure I maximize my money and don't spend it on things I don't really need.

I could be interested, too
I'm very good at savings! and check all supers ,etc for deals(as much as there are deals here in Argie!)

I could be interested, too
I'm very good at savings! and check all supers ,etc for deals(as much as there are deals here in Argie!)
Cool! I'd love to learn more about deals around here. For now, I try to buy the basics at Día as it seems the cheapest, and then I go to the verduleria and panaderia for those things. Meat I don't really buy.

Best food savings advice, make your own chicken stock from carcasses that are available at most granjas for a couple of pesos. Adds interest to any cheap dish and make yogurt either to eat or to marinade tougher (and therefore cheaper) cuts of meat in or add to sauces or soups to enrich. Ask your verduleria for fruits past their prime to make syrups, sauces, etc. That should help take care of a few breakfasts and dinners for minimal pesos. Also, cuts like osso bucco are slow to cook but delicious and being unfashionable also cheap.

So meat and potatoes is out of the question?
You can raise you own calves and have your own veggie patch ,it doesn't get any cheaper than that!!!! :p

Back