Maybe Establishing Myself In Ba For January- Please Advice

spiritk

Registered
hi,
I'm currently travelling in SA and am considering to make a stop in BA during january for 2-4 weeks. Would try to work in a hostel or smth for a couple of hours a day then the rest is free.

I wonder if the city is good during this month or I should postpone it to another time, f.e mid-february. Are cultural events\local social life taking place or is more or less on halt?
Also, how is the city on new year's eve? is it interesting or pretty dead (I heard totally different opinions on both subjects).

When I'm BA I'd like to:
1) Improving spanish: Does anybody here can recommend good teachers in BA?
2) Learn salsa (and possibly tango)-feasible in argentina? :)

Thanks for ur advices!

Tamir

I don't see very realistic finding 1) a job on the spot 2) without a VISA 3) for just 2 hours a day 4) for just 2-4 weeks.

Those who can, go away from the heat of the city for NYE, but you will find people partying anyway.
About Spanish, I am not sure what you can get in 2-4 weeks, but there are plenty of thread on the subject. The major obstacle I see is finding a private teacher working on January.
I can't help about dancing, sorry.

I agree with Serafina
Even if you find a temp job it wont be for a few hrs daily but I wish you well
January is very hot and most portenos leave the city

Plus all the schools are closed which would make it difficult to find regular Spanish classes.

Hi,
I'm looking to get a job via workaway, which is pretty much work-for-sleep thing. Not paid, but I'm not in need of money. Just figured out that its better this way for me.

I'm currently at intermediate level in spanish and am looking to tackle some certain topics.

So I generally understand BA is not a good choice for january? Would be better to go there at february, assuming I have this option?

You can get affordable private Spanish lessons for $8.33 an hour at www.Proyectosantelmo.com in January or February. Group Tango lessons at El Beso for beginners on Mondays and Wednesdays. Google Salsa lessons in Buenos Aires and you should find quite a few. I used to dance occasionally at Club Syrah in San Telmo a few years ago and it was packed. I'd say January is a good time to come because there should be lots of other travelers to network with. I've heard that the Tinder app. is quite popular for traveling singles.

You can definitely find work in a hostel, don't know if they pay or just offer the room and board in compensation.
por ejemplo: http://buenosaires.craigslist.org/fbh/4784978324.html

I know UBA has summer classes.
http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/spanish-foreigners-summer-2015

You want to find part time work, but you're not staying more than a month? Uh...

December and January are, IMO, the worst months to visit Buenos Aires. Most locals do what they can to leave, it's hot as hell and there are frequent blackouts and other annoying problems. February would definitely be better.

Argentina is not where you want to learn salsa. Tango, sure, absolutely. There are plenty of tourist web sites with this info. Just Google.

Well I don't know how old you are but if your in your 20's like me club will pretty much be closed or at least the good ones parties will be in beach towns and young people who can afford it won't be here, Yes there are some events you can find maybe but even now its really hard to find a place in the city that is open on a saturday because again everyone is leaving. It can be fun if you know people who can take you to cool places but if not it is probably kind of boring from now until late feb

ok, so no go for BA atm :) i guess i'll hit it in mid-feb then.
thanks for ur help!

Back