Maybe this is not as bad as it sounds

My grandfather used to love pigeon pie, had to be wood pigeon rather than the grey flying rat variety though.

If he hadn't qualified it as something for the poor only, there would have been no reaction.

reminds me of my incomprehension as to why would any city plant non fruit bearing trees in public parks. guess I'm being materialistic

In my native New York City every 10 years or so the canadian geese population get out of control. In the 1990s I remember them being trapped and slaughtered to feed to homeless people in shelters. It sounded like an awful plan, but nobody complained once they were served. As long as the birds are healthy and fit for human consumption, it shouldn't be a problem. Honestly with modern methods of farmning, should we really believe that fowl we purchase from the supermarket or butcher is fit to eat?

There are over sixty bacterial diseases, viruses, funguses and parasites associated with pigeons. The most problematic for humans would be Histoplasmosis and Cryptococcus. In addition there are: Trichomonisasis, Encephalitis, Meningitis, Pasteurellosis, Blastomycosis, Sarcosporidiosias, Toxoplasmosis, Candidiasis, Lisreiosis, Vibriosis, Salmonella and Paratyphoid. The National Institute of Health of the US has reported a potentially blinding eye condition that probably results from the fungus. Up to 80% of the population is reported to have been infected at some point.

Probably not a good idea.......

Cordobese said:
There are over sixty bacterial diseases, viruses, funguses and parasites associated with pigeons. The most problematic for humans would be Histoplasmosis and Cryptococcus. In addition there are: Trichomonisasis, Encephalitis, Meningitis, Pasteurellosis, Blastomycosis, Sarcosporidiosias, Toxoplasmosis, Candidiasis, Lisreiosis, Vibriosis, Salmonella and Paratyphoid. The National Institute of Health of the US has reported a potentially blinding eye condition that probably results from the fungus. Up to 80% of the population is reported to have been infected at some point.

Probably not a good idea.......

I don't know about you guys, but that sounds delicious. Mmmmmm Trichomonisasis.

You don't know what those pigeons have been eating and drinking in the city. There's a good chance they'd contain a lot of toxins.

Eclair said:
You don't know what those pigeons have been eating and drinking in the city. There's a good chance they'd contain a lot of toxins.
Yes, they eat the scraps that you drop when you eat at Mickie Ds. It's a wonder they don't glow in the dark.

Back