Meet-Up To Commemorate George Orwell's 109Th Birthday

Risu

Registered
Think it timely to celebrate the birth of this visionary writer & what the hell else do you have going on for a Tuesday night?

Date: June 25th... again, that's a Tuesday.
Time: 21:00 hrs.
Place: Magdalenas Party
Address: Thames 1795
Gifts: not necessary
Task: Bring your favorite quote & be prepared to give a toast (as any proper Englishman would do).
RSVP: pm me

I don't know that I can make the shindig,... but he surely deserves it.
A visionary writer indeed. Took a comparative lit course in grad school. Orwell & Conrad.
Anybody who's read 1984 & traveled to Cuba will attest to that.
My favorite Orwell book. Down & Out in Paris & London. One of the funniest books I've ever read.

"One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes a revolution in order to establish a dictatorship".
favorite GO quote.

Anyone who has visited the USA lately or read the news will see how visionary Orwell is.
I was part of the Orwellian society at university. After 9-11 we plastered the campus with posters containing quotes from 1984.
People didn´t get the joke, thought we were serious.
But S.O.S lives on:
http://www.studentsfororwell.org/

Oh well...Orwell Update: The BIrthday Shin-Dig planned for June 25th, due to underwhelming response has to move the venue to a much larger location to accomodate the masses of folks joining in the celebration. All those who did RSVP, will be notified of the new location...sorry to all you late-comers, we just don't have the space to include you.
To those who are coming please don't forget to bring a tea-cup. A generous donation of a few rare bottles of Victory Gin have arrived and will be served to all who remember to bring an Orwell quote to raise a glass/tea cup to honor this visionary writer. Remember no gifts necessary...your presence will be the gift.

fc,550x550,white.u1.jpg

Back