Men's Field Hockey? Who knew?

YOenBA

Registered
I always thought field hockey was a women-only sport. Not to say it's "girly" or "easy" sport but I honestly thought there were only women's leagues. I was surprised to see Men's Field Hockey in the olympics. Was anyone else?

Argentina sent a Men's team, looks like they have not been too spectacular, They lost their last 2 games but won their first one against Australia. They play Spain today, we shall see what happens!

i always thought soccer was a women only sport and then i came to argentina and realized its played by gay men and apparently prisons bus in the fans to fill the stadiums as well.. pretty weird.

Hockey in Argentina is for upperclass 'dudes' who are too scared to play rugby

Grass hockey is a far more global sport than ice hockey.

And Argie didn't beat Australia, they drew.

Number 1 sport in Canada, number 1 winter sport in Finland, Sweden, Czech republic, slovakia, Russia, about 6 states in the us and some smaller former sovjet countries. Big wintersport in Germany, norway, denmark, Austria, Switzerland and south Tirol.

Don't think so

El chabon said:
Number 1 sport in Canada, number 1 winter sport in Finland, Sweden, Czech republic, slovakia, Russia, about 6 states in the us and some smaller former sovjet countries. Big wintersport in Germany, norway, denmark, Austria, Switzerland and south Tirol.

Don't think so

I'm not really a fan of hockey (neither discipline) but remember reading somewhere recently that field hockey is the third most popular sport in the world after football (soccer) and cricket. It’s a big sport in India, Asia and the commonwealth. If I remember correctly, Ice Hockey didn't make it into the top 10.

But it's not the biggest sport in any of those countries.

At the olympics there about 8 ice hockey countries that have an real chance of winning the Olympics. Don't think this is the same for men's field hockey

Back