Metrogas Inspector - To "encourage" Or Not?

RFMS1

Registered
Long story short, we needed some work done on the gas installation after the building was cut off for what turned out to be a leak in the street. Now it's all done & ready for the Metrogas inspector to come and give the go-ahead.

But I am told by local friends, and the plumber, that it won't get approved without a bribe. It is the first time I have been in this position and quite apart from the moral quandry, the practicality of it is unfamiliar ground.

Have other people been in this position and what did they do? Did you offer money, or wait to be asked, or just hope that a foreigner won't be expected to know how it goes?

I hate to be part of the corruption, but "donde fueres, hace lo que vieres" and I really want the gas back on.

Thank you!

Long story short, we needed some work done on the gas installation after the building was cut off for what turned out to be a leak in the street. Now it's all done & ready for the Metrogas inspector to come and give the go-ahead.

But I am told by local friends, and the plumber, that it won't get approved without a bribe. It is the first time I have been in this position and quite apart from the moral quandry, the practicality of it is unfamiliar ground.

Have other people been in this position and what did they do? Did you offer money, or wait to be asked, or just hope that a foreigner won't be expected to know how it goes?

I hate to be part of the corruption, but "donde fueres, hace lo que vieres" and I really want the gas back on.

Thank you!

Where are you? We've had a similar problem, in Palermo near the zoo.

They will approve without a bribe, but they may make you do some crazy things beforehand. I had to put in multiple vents (including one in a window, which broke the windown) before they approved. Maybe if you give a bribe they won´t get so crazy on you.
also, i think any gasista maltriculado can do it, but you need to check with metrogas.

They will approve without a bribe, but they may make you do some crazy things beforehand. I had to put in multiple vents (including one in a window, which broke the windown) before they approved. Maybe if you give a bribe they won´t get so crazy on you.
also, i think any gasista maltriculado can do it, but you need to check with metrogas.

Thanks, already done all the crazy things and the matriculado has checked it and handed in the paperwork.
Now waiting for a new inspection in the next day or 2.

So - when they came back to approve your new vents, it was all straightforward, no monkey business?

I had to give the gasman a $60.00 pesos bribe when I bought my place here in 2008. He wouldn't turn on the gas because he said I needed to have vent in the kitchen where the hot water heater was / is.
This was in August the middle of winter with no hot water, nor heat, no cooking gas. A flash of cash always works. When he comes I would have a C note or two very handy in case he starts giving you the runaround.
You have to take into account the inflation rate since 2008. Good luck.

I have never been asked for a bribe in my entire time in Argentina, I have been here 10 years. My husband hasn´t been asked for one since 2006. That doesn´t mean that you won´t. If you have done all the changes they asked for, they should approve. the bribe is to NOT do the crazy things they ask you for. So too late. The idea is that the bribe is less than making the reforms they ask for, or simply quicker.
Also, if you are going to offer a bribe make sure you know what you are doing, offering it out front could make things worse or they could take you for a ride. If you aren´t fluent in Spanish and local culture don´t do it, or get a friend or neighbor to do it.
Personally, I think that if you don´t have to pay a bribe, don´t offer it. Corruption hurts us all.

Thank you!

I had a horrible experience as a result of not bribing the inspector, even after all the song and dance works we did and even then I spooked him by being too forthright in my bribing technique..prepare an envelope and bribe is my suggestion. See my numerous posts on this issue including Bribed by a Federal Police Officer

I have never been asked for a bribe in my entire time in Argentina, I have been here 10 years. My husband hasn´t been asked for one since 2006. That doesn´t mean that you won´t. If you have done all the changes they asked for, they should approve. the bribe is to NOT do the crazy things they ask you for. So too late. The idea is that the bribe is less than making the reforms they ask for, or simply quicker.
Also, if you are going to offer a bribe make sure you know what you are doing, offering it out front could make things worse or they could take you for a ride. If you aren´t fluent in Spanish and local culture don´t do it, or get a friend or neighbor to do it.
Personally, I think that if you don´t have to pay a bribe, don´t offer it. Corruption hurts us all.

Thank you.
I agree 100% about not encouraging corruption & very glad you got your gas installation approved without it. This whole process is supposed to be making us safer, after all!
Fingers crossed.
I'm still waiting for them to come.

I had a horrible experience as a result of not bribing the inspector, even after all the song and dance works we did and even then I spooked him by being too forthright in my bribing technique..prepare an envelope and bribe is my suggestion. See my numerous posts on this issue including Bribed by a Federal Police Officer

Thanks for this fifs, but I cannot find your numerous posts, either by searching "Bribed by a Federal Police Officer" or by looking at the list of posts under your profile (but it was an interesting distraction reading what I did find there!). Sorry to be dense but where else should I look?
Just been told by Metrogas that I have to wait in another two days for the inspection as they haven't made it yet.

Back