Mi Torito de Pucara.

mini

Registered
I've been meaning to tell you about this. And now that the exhibit ends on the 20th of March, I can't procrastinate anymore!

A friend of mine has put together an exhibit of traditional ceramic bulls that are made in the village of Pucara in Peru and that have then been painted by Argentine artists. Some well known such as Carlos Regazzoni and Eduardo Stupia others up and coming like the fabulously talented Georgina Ciotti and master of kitsch Fabio Martin Risso.

The exhibit is at the Museo de Arte Popular Jose Hernandez. It's been there since November but it closes now on the 20th of March. So run, don't walk! :)

Also, the project was put together to benefit the artisans in Peru who make these bulls. So the bulls will be on sale after the exhibit is over (ie, now! ;) )

This exhibition is great !

You can visit
Mi Torito de Pucará - Edición Argentina
to see the pictures.

Those are quite big ceramic pieces actually, they stand about 12/14 inches in height.
Like Mia said, they are available for sale by the organizer whose name is Eliana (she will be present) and she speaks English & French.

Also, the exhibit will close with a short concert by a quite famous Mexican singer,
Valentina Gonzalez (here in a concert in NY : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H6M6p3ICvk).
This concert will take place in the small private garden behind the museum at 6 pm on march 20th.
Adress : Libertador 2373 (not far away from Malba).

Since the place is quite small, come early & you'll have the opportunity to visit the exhibit.

One of the toritos I wanted got sold ;-( but I might choose another one.

I forgot :
It should be noted too that the proceeds of the sales of those museum exhibited painted ceramics will go toward financing future exhibitions, helping those ceramic craftmen from Peru making their activity more professional (learn about new sales venues, develop new networks, etc...) PLUS that will help financing a quality book about the history, the tradition, the technic of those ceramics, etc.

More about those 2.500 years old Pucara bulls :
http://www.delange.org/Pucara/Pucara.htm

Thanks for adding that, FJ. I've not see the website before. Quite interesting.

The exhibit ends tomorrow, so please go see it! The artist did a wonderful job painting the toritos. If anyone of you go, let me know what you think.

I just wanted to post this picture of the toritos. In Pucara Peru they put them on the roofs. These are the traditional painted version. Of course the ones at the exhibit have been painted quite differently.

Dsc00009.jpg

another traditionally painted torito
50356_193720376590_7551652_n.jpg

And from the exhibit:
180760_192790730746021_165338783491216_605689_2936416_s.jpg

149572_479130956590_193720376590_5562952_5141781_s.jpg

Back