Milei pitches Argentina as low-regulation AI hub

You don't really have to push Argentina as a high-tech hub for online marketing and logistics, software development, fintech, among others; Argentina is already all of those. If there are Argentinians capable of creating startups in AI and ML, and I imagine there are, Argentina will become a hub in those areas as well without any incentives from Milei.

Low-regulation spells "dumping" for me, bottom-fishing the pond for projects rejected by other countries and blocs. It's not the way to go.

And this, from the article: “They would need to see Argentina get rid of its [strict capital controls], and pass long-term economic reforms before putting down money,” said Ignacio Labaqui, a Buenos Aires-based senior analyst at risk consultancy Medley Global Advisors. “That process is just barely getting started and I would be cautious.” Does any of this sound likely considering we're 6 months in and President Jetsetter hasn't passed a single law yet?

I've worked for two large software companies (Oracle / Salesforce) with development offices in Argentina. The talent is definitely there and it has a favorable time zone. Oracle eventually moved all of the development work out of Argentina for a variety of reasons (difficulties with importing equipment, labor laws that were too pro-employee, etc). Last I heard Salesforce is expanding and thriving.

Back