Milei posse in NYC

carride

Registered
Interesting to follow along the news this week of Milei and his gang in NYC for a few days.

The tentative schedule
—-
Mondino video not yet posted, or I do not know how to use the webtv search
Argentina declined on Sunday to sign a key United Nations pact that aims for member countries to commit to action on issues including peace, poverty, climate change, and gender equality.
—-
Today they rang NYSE opening bell at the start of the trading day

Watch UN speech (5 minutes max) live tomorrow 3pm, click on the LIVE UN WebTv link
UN speaker schedule
8th Plenary Meeting: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 - 3:00 pm
1 Mauritania….
2 Kyrgyzstan…..
3 Argentina His Excellency Javier Gerardo Milei President of the Argentine Republic

Last edited:
Really gives me a lot of hope for the future to see that Milei has joined Russia, North Korea,Iran and Syria in standing on the principles of freedom and private property...
Pretty narrow reading of the action, at least from what I read of the articles. It appeared to me that Milei & Co. had sound reasons for wishing to avoid committing to the usual UN "aspirational" claptrap. It certainly would have been easier to have gone along with the other countries and signed onto a (guessing) bloated bill of good/bad/silly content with unfortunate points of requirement. Saying "Thank you, but no" is in my view very likely a principled position to be applauded. I would have to know the specifics of the bill to be sure, but knowing the UN....

Last edited:
I just read a translation of Milei’s speech to the UN - and agree with 100% of it. The UN, as an institution, has morphed into something that has very little effectiveness relative to its size and scope. The world has changed - countries no longer respect the institution; leaders no longer abide by norms. It has become hypocritical as pointed out by Milei. The cost is enormous. It’s no longer a forum for countries to resolve differences - now the world engages bilaterally or through coalitions which can act decisively and with consequences. Does anyone care about a UN sanction these days? The UN should shrink down to an institution that focuses on humanitarian response/aid; the World Health Organization; and UNICEF. That’s it - all of the other hundreds of arms of the UN should stop being funded and we should accept the reality that the UN no longer works as originally envisioned.

No two superpowers have gone to war while the UN has been around. Cold War, yes, but nukes and bombing each other directly, no. As far as I'm concerned, that is a major win. UN does enough of a job to keep everyone at arms length and talking, which is a good thing.

No two superpowers have gone to war while the UN has been around. Cold War, yes, but nukes and bombing each other directly, no. As far as I'm concerned, that is a major win. UN does enough of a job to keep everyone at arms length and talking, which is a good thing.
Hey!! Don't point out the obvious!!:)

I think you have a false cause fallacy here - I don’t think there is evidence that the UN is the reason superpowers haven’t gone to war. The fact is there were no superpowers (as I think you are defining them) before the UN was created, so you have no basis to compare a cause and effect. In any case, still irrelevant to my argument, which is that norms have changed dramatically in the last 30 years, and nations and leaders no longer respect the UN nor do they use it to facilitate conflict negotiations.

I think you have a false cause fallacy here - I don’t think there is evidence that the UN is the reason superpowers haven’t gone to war. The fact is there were no superpowers (as I think you are defining them) before the UN was created, so you have no basis to compare a cause and effect. In any case, still irrelevant to my argument, which is that norms have changed dramatically in the last 30 years, and nations and leaders no longer respect the UN nor do they use it to facilitate conflict negotiations.
No superpowers before the UN ... what? Global hegemons have been around for hundreds of years and constantly fighting eachother. The UN does give the platform to actually discuss these issues and honestly does put pressure on these countries to come to the table and discuss. Often times its not in the general assembly but behind closed doors that actually matters.

Secondly, global health and aid are coordinated at a global level at the UN which is a massive plus. Again, having a platform for dialogue and coordination actually helps.

Whether we love them or hate them, the IMF and World Bank is part of the UN. There are thousands of IMF and WB programmes that have been successful beyond these massive bailouts etc.

There are others but the UN is more than just countries around a table and war and peace negotiations. Health, food aid, disease eradication, economic projects, promotion of gender equality, basic human development. All these things emanate from the UN.

Also, Milei had no problem parading around the UN, or asking it for money. What he refused to sign was a non-binding agreement that climate change exists, and that everybody should be working to slow it down. NO blue helmeted UN soldiers would descend on Argentina if he didnt do everything recommended. He could even fire up Menem's old Ferrari, and try for a faster time to MDQ, and no UN enforcers would be writing him a ticket.
What he did was another classic Milei middle finger, an ideological statement that wont actually keep Argentines from buying solar panels, or electric cars, or trying to save money by burning fewer petro products. It will just reinforce the idea that he is more ideologically aligned with the Russians and the North Koreans, as opposed to democratic countries that believe in science.

Back