Militant Byclist

Kat Powa

Registered
hi everyone,
I'm new to this site, but actually a long-term expat. I got to Buenos Aires around 5 years ago. I just ended up here.
I just finished University here, but I guess I'm staying anyway and try to get a real job and stay settled here for a few more years.
The turning point of integration for me was when I started riding my bike everywhere. I'd do that in Germany but it took me about 2 years until I'd overcome the fear. It's great and I recommend to everyone to rent a bike and get to know the more quiet neighborhoods by bike - Saavedra and Colegiales are incredible on a weekend day!

I miss my bike, but the number of people killed on the roads here puts me off cycling.

i totally agree and won the fear after 2 months
i used to ride my bike also in Rome, i have to say here is worst but still feasible
and it's a joy on a sunday!

i wonder why there is not (YET?) a critical mass in buenos aires
we could plan a tour together sometimes!

For pleasure cycling looks nice, but as a way of getting around I just think its too risky in a city that seems to pride itself on road deaths.

I was referring to commuting, there are sufficient numbers of locals getting around on bikes that drivers are certainly used to seeing them on the road. I've never had problems here. Again, you'll never know unless you give it a try.

True enough.
The risk of horrible death is a little off putting though.

Cycling is perfectly safe until you explode under the wheels of an articulated lorry who wasn't paying you much attention.

jp said:
Cycling is perfectly safe until you explode under the wheels of an articulated lorry who wasn't paying you much attention.

As it is anywhere in the world.

Everyone has their own acceptable levels of risk, even if the probability of an event occurring is constant people will interpret the risk and modify their behaviour differently - the current BA hysterias regarding death by dengue or pibes chorros are stark examples.

you are free to stay at home with cable TV , delivery and playstation
or to give it a try
does it make sense to live if you are not even free to get around by bike?
it must start from somewhere
bikes bikes bikes

Back