Mmm, Lets Eat Some Delicious, Health Soy.

gpop

Registered
Argentina—A Poster Child for the Health Hazards of GMO Crops:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/09/argentina-gmo-crops.aspx

Yes, GMO crops are bad. Despite the fact that it ended starvation in most of the 3rd world in less than a generation.
But wine (or any alcohol), which is literally poison, and kills millions worldwide every year. No, that is really hipster and cool.

40194677.jpg

Camberiu, please enlighten me. How is wine poisonous? Obviously, drinking large amounts of wine is poisonous, but having a glass of wine every once in while with my asado, is that poisonous? I thought it was supposedly good for your health...

Alcohol is a toxic substance. Even when consumed with moderation, it has been linked with increased incidence of breast cancer, liver disease, stroke and dementia. The issue is that it has been part of our culture for thousands of years, so we find it socially acceptable and say that "if consumed with moderation, it is no big deal". We take the stance that the pleasures and benefits brought by alcohol outweight the harm caused by consuming this toxic and HIGHLY ADDICTIVE substance. I am personally fine with that view. The problem is when people go bananas about GMO food, which has yet to be linked with real cases of increase incidence of cancer and the like, while praising the benefits of the Argentinian wine.

Let's be consistent here: If you are against GMO, you should be against alcohol consumption too. Why is one form of "self poisoning" acceptable while the other is not?

Alcohol is a toxic substance. Even when consumed with moderation, it has been linked with increased incidence of breast cancer, liver disease, stroke and dementia. The issue is that it has been part of our culture for thousands of years, so we find it socially acceptable and say that "if consumed with moderation, it is no big deal". We take the stance that the pleasures and benefits brought by alcohol outweight the harm caused by consuming this toxic and HIGHLY ADDICTIVE substance. I am personally fine with that view. The problem is when people go bananas about GMO food, which has yet to be linked with real cases of increase incidence of cancer and the like, while praising the benefits of the Argentinian wine.

Let's be consistent here: If you are against GMO, you should be against alcohol consumption too. Why is one form of "self poisoning" acceptable while the other is not?

This is complete and utter nonsense with zero basis on scientific fact. One to two glasses of red wine on a daily basis provides legitimate health benefits including preventing damage to arteries in the heart and increasing the level of HDL cholesterol in the blood.

Those who drink ~1 glass of wine a day live longer (on average) than those who don't drink at all.

Hopefully some people don't drink any wine at all.

;)

Those who drink ~1 glass of wine a day live longer (on average) than those who don't drink at all.

Hopefully some people don't drink any wine at all.

;)

Correlation is not causation. Many studies failed to find a causation effect between drinking wine and having a longer life. One hypothesis is that people who drink one glass of wine a day might be more socially active, have closer family ties, a less stressful life and therefore live longer.

It seems like there are so many studies that say so many things. Eggs are good. No they are bad. No they are good. Wine is bad. Wait, no it's good. Soy is good, no it's bad. I think I've pretty much decided to live my life and enjoy it. If I want to eat something, I eat it. I try not to do things in excess or without moderation, as that is never good. But I also realize some day I'm going to die. Since I enjoy eating food, I am going to eat it if I like it. I'm sure a large number of things are poisonous in the air, water, etc., but once again, since some day I'll die anyway, in the meantime, I would like to enjoy what little time I have.

It seems like there are so many studies that say so many things. Eggs are good. No they are bad. No they are good. Wine is bad. Wait, no it's good. Soy is good, no it's bad. I think I've pretty much decided to live my life and enjoy it. If I want to eat something, I eat it. I try not to do things in excess or without moderation, as that is never good. But I also realize some day I'm going to die. Since I enjoy eating food, I am going to eat it if I like it. I'm sure a large number of things are poisonous in the air, water, etc., but once again, since some day I'll die anyway, in the meantime, I would like to enjoy what little time I have.

I think that is a very sane and balanced attitude. I wish the "anti GMO crusaders" would take the same stance too.

Back