Mobile internet - 3G

SaraSara

Registered
Anyone has experience with them? I'd like to know a bit about cost, speed, and reliability.

Thanks...

Well, I'll post my experience with Personal Telecom:

1.) Speed: horrible
2.) Reliability: very bad (sometimes does not work at all or has lots of disconnects)
3.) Price: horrible (prepaid 50 pesos a week, but I figured out that the data package for smartphones works with the data-stick as well for only 19 pesos a week, first has unlimited data, the second has 2GB)

Basically I can use it to read e-mails and browse non-multimedia sites like this forum. There might be a difference depending on where you are exactly since its a shared medium (many people near you using it = bad connection)
The proximity of the other endpoint (that pole with the radios) is important as well, but at least for me that does not seem to be the responsible factor, I always have 3-4 bars (out of 5) and it is still so slow.

I don't recommend it. Have not heard much good about Movistar neither. About Claro I don't know anything. I only use mobile internet during power outages (seems that at least where I live, the mobile network is on a different grid than I am).

Claro prepaid you have to send an SMS every time you wanna use it. Either per day or hour. Not really practical.

End of last year, my husband was given a couple of those mobile internet usb data sticks to use when on-call (from claro, I think - that one from the advert with the hippy family living in a van!). I have no idea how much they cost but I tried one out for a week or so and it worked absolutely fine. I'm sure they're no substitute for a good home internet connection but it was refreshing to be able to get a decent connection in my local cafe (where the wifi is usually painfully slow)and I even worked in a park one day.
Now, I wasn't downloading/uploading anything but for basic email sending/receiving and working online outside the house, I'd recommend it if you can get a good deal.

I tried the prepaid when I first moved here and it wasn't too too bad for street navigation and email. Even with good credit (USA), cards and cash on hand, none of the companies would let me sign up. Even when I offered to pay upfront for the year.

Thankfully, a good Porteño friend of mine, took pity on me and put me on his plan. Then I just paid him the year in advance.

Obviously, that's not a solution for everyone but it worked for me.

Oh yeah, I'm on MoviStar, and the speed has been about 450kbps up and down. That said, the wireless cells are directly across the street from me on the other roof. I'm probably being cooked from the inside out as we speak....but I have great 3G.

Someone in my husbands office uses a 3G of Movistar on his laptop. He is really happy with it. He uses it here in BA as well as when he is out of town.

I use the 3G on my iphone, in capital it does not work perfectly as I don't have constant 3G (while moving around in town). For mails it is perfect, but for calling with Skype connection is often bad. As soon as I leave town it works perfect again. I suppose that in san isidro it will work fine.

Back