Monedero and Sube

cafeconleche

Registered
Can someone tell me what the difference is between Monedero and Sube cards? Both can be used for subte and colectivos right?

Thank you!

Not sure if there is a real difference, I think Sube is the new name, the new "identity..." I have my Monedero card from 3 years ago that works perfectly on the buses.

Finally, buses and subte turnstyles are equipped with either the Monedero or Sube system which works with both cards.

http://www.monedero.com.ar has been in use for more than two years. http://www.sube.gov.ar is the newer card system. The sites provide information on where to obtain the cards.

MONEDERO office is in El Once at Bme. Mitre 2884 (8-17 hs) or at the Estacion Independencia of Line E Mon-Fri 7-20hs.

SUBE is available at the Post Office, Santa Fe 766, Mon-Fri 10-18hs. Sat 10-13hs.

Subte stations will charge the cards, that is IF and WHEN they are equipped. Some kioskos will charge them. Neither place makes money charging the cards.

Thank you! Seems rather complicated to have both of these cards in circulation.

Not really complicated, at this moment they are interchangeable - although there are some important differences.

Mondero was the first RFID transportation payment card and has been around for a few years (more than 3 is all I know). It was released and is managed by a private company and was originally meant for use at the subway as well as kiosks, theatres, etc. This card contains no personal information - just the balance of the card.

SUBE was introduced by the government about 2 years ago in response to the change crisis. It is an electric card just like in any other city that atually is linked to your DNI, so if you lose the card, you can get the balance back. Originally CFK had said it would be implemented 2 years ago, and now they are just in the final steps of implementing it on trains and the few remaining buses. This card is the same technology as the Monedero, it just goes through a different (govt. owned) processing center. The only physical differences is the placement of the RFID chip within the card.

SUBE in my understanding is not available for foreigners without DNI. Monedero in turn is easy to use & works the same - without requiring a DNI.

You can pickup a SUBE at any Correo Argentino and Monederos are available at Centros de Atencion for the subway.

SUBE in my understanding is not available for foreigners without DNI. Monedero in turn is easy to use & works the same - without requiring a DNI.
You do NOT need a DNI to get a SUBE card.... all you have to do is wait in the hour long line at any post office with your passport and you can get one. But I will tell you that waiting in the one hour line at the post office (TIP: I usually pull my number and then go run my other errands and when I come back in an hour my number is about to be called) was totally worth it because now I no longer have to wait in long lines at the bank trying to get coins.

The SUBE card has seriously changed my life here, I recommend it for everyone... I used to be like Elaine on Sienfeld trying to decide if a friend was "moneda-worthy" when I had to take the bus and use my precious coins to go see them.

Getting the SUBE is the best thing I did in May 2011. Every time I swipe the card in a bus I smile, go behind those struggling with the coin machine, and choose a nice seat to watch the coin action.

marksoc said:
Getting the SUBE is the best thing I did in May 2011. Every time I swipe the card in a bus I smile, go behind those struggling with the coin machine, and choose a nice seat to watch the coin action.

What I don't understand is why so many people are still using coins.

My monedero card failed and I had to get it changed.
I went to the Monedero central at Tribunales. The girl there was very helpful and gave me a new card and transfered my money on to it.
The point of all this? Well it says on the card Sube and Monedero.
I hope that clears it up.

Back