Money and taxi from the Airport.

Marche exile

Registered
All this talk of pesos and dollars what actually do I need! So when I get to the airport and pull out some money out the wall what is going to give me? What do you spend everyday in a shop/bar.
Also how do I get from the airport to the hotel without getting mugged or murdered :)

Take Radio Taxi's with the RadioTaxi sign above the taxi. when exiting the airport, some security person would hand to you a flier saying: don't take service which is offered verbally. so avoid those who come to you and say: taxi taxi...
Last time a man offered 180 pesos for a ride to the city but we ended up paying 160 pesos with a Radio Taxi(in the middle of the night , rate is higher)
Peso is used in daily life.
Shops oriented for tourist also take USDs. the rate of these shops is between 5.0-5.3 now.
I am not sure what ATM would give to you though.

Marche exile said:
All this talk of pesos and dollars what actually do I need! So when I get to the airport and pull out some money out the wall what is going to give me? What do you spend everyday in a shop/bar.
Also how do I get from the airport to the hotel without getting mugged or murdered :)

1. What do you need? You need U$S Dollars.
  2. Don't pull out money out the wallet if your wallet is where you keep all your money. Distribute your money in different pockets so if you do get mugged you don't lose it all.
  3. You spend money every day:p. No, you spend Pesos. Its what the government considers as money but in reality its worth nothing. Anyway, you need to remember that the '$' sign here means pesos. When they mean US Dollars, they write something like US$, U$S or some such symbol. The official rate of the US dollar to pesos is crap and akin to stealing. Anyone offers to buy your dollars at 1U$S = $4.5 to $4.7, ask them to give you a 2 peso bill, fold it up and then tell them to bend over so you can shove it up their a$$ (see what I did there?! :D). You can buy dollars at around $5 - $5.10 if you know the right place (search the forum for more information).
  4. Use radio taxis to not get mugged. Don't appear clueless. Use google maps or something to master the streets and to sort of know where you should be going. Use street names so the driver knows where you're going and finally, don't pull out a gazillion dollars from your pocket to pay the driver. Just put some money aside so you can pay him or her(?) with it. I don't know where the best place to convert your dollars would be but I would suggest converting a little bit (even if its a bad rate, it doesn't matter), enough so you can survive the first day...you know, taxis, food, and all that stuff.

Marche exile said:

The ATM will give you pesos. I've lived here 10 weeks now and have only ever used pesos. Your rent deal may be in USD though. I live alone and spend about AR$80 per day in the supermarket and live comfortably. In bars coffee: 15 pesos and beer about 20, although of course it depends where you go.

Many of the taxi booths at the irport will take credit cards. Or you can get peso from nearby ATMs. $80 pesos/day is a student budget. You'll be eating empanadas and pizza or canned foods. A night out at a decent but not great restaurant with wine or beer will be easily $100 pesos. Basic groceries with cleaning supplies and paper goods, cheap meat will be $300 pesos week.

If you've brought US dollars, change on the parallel market sand everything I'd 15% cheaper

If you are arriving at the International airport(EZE), then there will be transportation kiosks after the customs Xray. Look to your left and 3 companies(World,VIP,TiendaLeon) have private cars directly to your hotel. In addition, in the Arrivals Hall is the kiosks for TAXIEZE. The 3 private car companies take both cash(Dollars,pesos,Euros) or credit cards. TAXIEZE takes the same cash only. The price to your hotel is 180-210 pesos. There is also an airport shuttle from TiendaLeon which costs 50 pesos to their downtown terminal but requires a taxi transfer to your hotel.
Do not go outside the terminal and arrange for your own taxi at the curb.
If you are changing your currency to pesos then use only Banco de la Nacion at the airport. They offer the best exchange rate and located next to the car companies.
There is also an ATM in this area of the airport which dispenses pesos.
There is a maximum of 1000 pesos per transaction with a local charge of 17pesos. However, you can withdraw more pesos by reinserting the ATM card but pay again the local charge.

Today I paid 150 pesos at ezeiza bargaining! I went outside as the taxis services are super expensive inside. I took a black/ yellow taxi and called my bf to give him all the taxis info, license ect so that he would see me doing it. He was a great taxi (company pidelo) and 150 was a great price to recoleta.
Don't change dollars at the cambio there, today the rate there was 3.70!!!! I wanted to stop everyone there that were changing and offer to buy from them but I thought I'd probably get in trouble!!! Hehe!

RicardoBA said:
If you are arriving at the International airport(EZE), then there will be transportation kiosks after the customs Xray. Look to your left and 3 companies(World,VIP,TiendaLeon) have private cars directly to your hotel. In addition, in the Arrivals Hall is the kiosks for TAXIEZE. The 3 private car companies take both cash(Dollars,pesos,Euros) or credit cards. TAXIEZE takes the same cash only. The price to your hotel is 180-210 pesos. There is also an airport shuttle from TiendaLeon which costs 50 pesos to their downtown terminal but requires a taxi transfer to your hotel.
Do not go outside the terminal and arrange for your own taxi at the curb.
If you are changing your currency to pesos then use only Banco de la Nacion at the airport. They offer the best exchange rate and located next to the car companies.
There is also an ATM in this area of the airport which dispenses pesos.
There is a maximum of 1000 pesos per transaction with a local charge of 17pesos. However, you can withdraw more pesos by reinserting the ATM card but pay again the local charge.

When I arrived in March I used the Tienda Leon bus and for a small extra charge which I paid at booking, they took me to my apartment in a van.

shoush said:
Today I paid 150 pesos at ezeiza bargaining! I went outside as the taxis services are super expensive inside. I took a black/ yellow taxi and called my bf to give him all the taxis info, license ect so that he would see me doing it. He was a great taxi (company pidelo) and 150 was a great price to recoleta.
Don't change dollars at the cambio there, today the rate there was 3.70!!!! I wanted to stop everyone there that were changing and offer to buy from them but I thought I'd probably get in trouble!!! Hehe!

3.7, that's hardcore shameless.

Back