Monitor For Macbook - Buy Here Or "import"?

domthegreat

Registered
Im looking to get a new monitoring for my macbook pro. I am not too worried about high res and all the fancy specs that the latest and greatest have to offer I just want something big (maybe 25"+) so I don't have to crink my neck all day long looking down at my laptop.

I am wondering about bringing something from the States next time I go to visit. For years I have seen people bringing back LG TVs and other large monitors at Ezeiza and I always wondering if they were paying huge taxes on those or what.

Do anyone here have any experience bringing back a TV or computer monitor through Ezeiza? Did you have to pay any duty?

Otherwise, if you know of a good place for monitors here (at a reasonable price) please feel free to recommend.

Thanks!

I brought my monitor with me - no issues at all. I just put it in a big suitcase and customs didn't care. If you buy a new one, however, I'd make sure not to bring it unused in the original packaging. I'd recommend to buy it in the US unless you want to pay a bit more for a worse display or much more for the same model ;)

You can bring back anything you want, you will just have to pay duties of 50% of the total value over $300. I would just compare the monitor that you are considering at both place then decide if its worth the hassle vs cost at customs.

I have brought down two, no questions no problems no duty. I unpack them from box, tape a thin piece of masonite or 1/8" plywood to the screen, and put it in the suitcase.
Half the price, sometimes 1/3 the price, plus later models, better features. Virtually all the new ones sold in the USA are 110/220 volts, so they run without a transformer. Just check voltage before you buy.

IF I buy one for less than $300 USD and bring the receipt with me will they give me any problems with duty or will they try to make up a value based on its cost here?

Sounds like the best option is to pack it in a suitcase and check it. Shouldnt I be worried about them breaking it?

You can bring your personal notebook and phone without paying any taxes, so I don't see why it should be different with an LCD monitor. However, even though I've gone through EZE customs maybe 10 times with notebooks/displays and other stuff, I also never got checked; most of the times, the don't even collect the form... Even in the worst case where you have to pay customs you would probably end up with paying the same or slightly less for a newer model compared to buying it here.

Regarding the breaking: I was flying very often with a display and never any issues. Just make sure to put something durable over the fragile side and put the display in the middle between your clothes without a lot of free space. Even if they throw the luggage around, it shouldn't break.

IF I buy one for less than $300 USD and bring the receipt with me will they give me any problems with duty or will they try to make up a value based on its cost here?
The receipt is what matters (unless it is too obvious that it is fake). So if you buy one for less than $300 and bring the receipt then you should have no problems.

The receipt is what matters (unless it is too obvious that it is fake). So if you buy one for less than $300 and bring the receipt then you should have no problems.

Have you seen an Amazon receipt lately? They're pretty basic - very easy to create one.

But there are a lot of great choices in 25 inch monitors at less than $200.

And do you have any problems when you check the monitor? Just pack it with clothes and check it like normal or do you tell them its fragile?

Back