More Thefts

arlean

Registered
I am posting these items even though I know there is a lot of crime posted on this forum and some people complain about that. But I need to hear it to keep me alert and I suspect other people do too. Here are things I had not heard before. Incidentally I am working at doing more than guarding my own stuff. On buses and subways I decided to work at watching what is going on around me . . . what is happening to other people.

These happened to two Argentines (not tourists) this past week.

My friend went to Once to shop. She had another friend with her who was looking at displays also. My friend usually is careful (I shop with her too at times) with her purse. The proprietor wanted to know her size and she didn't know, she would have to just try things on. But he said no it is right inside your waistband. She dropped her purse to the side out of her normal vice grip as she struggled to turn the band down and see the inside. Nothing there. He said no the other side, So she tried to turn the band down and looked all along the other side. Nothing there either. The wife of the proprietor was standing very close to her on the side where her purse hung. When she left the store all zippers were unzipped and $600 pesos taken from an inside pocket. She is sure that the wife of the owner, who stood so close, is the thief. Whether it was or not someone was sure pretty slick. The friend who was shopping with her saw nothing.

Next another young woman is a forestry engineer with long, wavy, auburn hair, very feminine appearing but this gal is something else. It doesn't pay to trust her appearance! She once refused to turn her purse over to two guys with a knife, raised her hand to protect her face and had to have stitches in her hand. A gentleman came to her aid the the perps ran.

But this week she was walking in the subway station with her brother and her sister. You know how many people can be around you down there. My friend happened to glance past the other two and saw a man had unzipped her sister's purse and was removing money. She called to her brother as the kid ran. Her brother said later he heard his name but he was talking and didn't respond. Well she did respond. She ran the guy down and knocked him down as he stepped into the subway, yelling for someone to get the police. She got her sister's money from him about the time the cop appeared. This gal, of course, gets the normal lectures about NOT doing stuff like that but she's not going to change I think.

Letting down on alertness made both these occurrences possible. So stay alert, folks. I know it's not easy to never let down. I'm trying to train myself.

I am posting these items even though I know there is a lot of crime posted on this forum and some people complain about that. But I need to hear it to keep me alert and I suspect other people do too. Here are things I had not heard before. Incidentally I am working at doing more than guarding my own stuff. On buses and subways I decided to work at watching what is going on around me . . . what is happening to other people.

These happened to two Argentines (not tourists) this past week.

My friend went to Once to shop. She had another friend with her who was looking at displays also. My friend usually is careful (I shop with her too at times) with her purse. The proprietor wanted to know her size and she didn't know, she would have to just try things on. But he said no it is right inside your waistband. She dropped her purse to the side out of her normal vice grip as she struggled to turn the band down and see the inside. Nothing there. He said no the other side, So she tried to turn the band down and looked all along the other side. Nothing there either. The wife of the proprietor was standing very close to her on the side where her purse hung. When she left the store all zippers were unzipped and $600 pesos taken from an inside pocket. She is sure that the wife of the owner, who stood so close, is the thief. Whether it was or not someone was sure pretty slick. The friend who was shopping with her saw nothing.

Next another young woman is a forestry engineer with long, wavy, auburn hair, very feminine appearing but this gal is something else. It doesn't pay to trust her appearance! She once refused to turn her purse over to two guys with a knife, raised her hand to protect her face and had to have stitches in her hand. A gentleman came to her aid the the perps ran.

But this week she was walking in the subway station with her brother and her sister. You know how many people can be around you down there. My friend happened to glance past the other two and saw a man had unzipped her sister's purse and was removing money. She called to her brother as the kid ran. Her brother said later he heard his name but he was talking and didn't respond. Well she did respond. She ran the guy down and knocked him down as he stepped into the subway, yelling for someone to get the police. She got her sister's money from him about the time the cop appeared. This gal, of course, gets the normal lectures about NOT doing stuff like that but she's not going to change I think.

Letting down on alertness made both these occurrences possible. So stay alert, folks. I know it's not easy to never let down. I'm trying to train myself.

Argentines stealing from Argentines...makes it even worse sadly although all robbery is horrible. Thx for sharing Arlean. Im planning my next trip back and forewarned is always forearmed even if people think that equates to paranoia!

I don't see it as paranoia. Maybe it scares some people who read it--so don't read it if it scares you! I think it's a challenge to be prepared and keep these people from getting away with this stuff. Be smarter than they are! The thing is they have so many slick tricks and the novice doesn't anticipate that it can be done. I lost my wallet once, but I've foiled two attempts since then. But the thing is I had gone so long without any incident, and did not hear of any incidents, I felt perfectly secure in Buenos Aires. Now don't everybody laugh. That's exactly what happened and that's why I post this stuff.

I've going to tell you guys a secret. One of my relatives is heading back down here soon. He says he's getting a leather carrying case and he's going to sew treble fish hooks all along the inside, upside down with the points pointing down. And then he's going to have a new hobby. He's going to call it "urban fishing." They can stick their hand in but Heaven help them when they try to pull it out.

Some people have diabolical minds. (Hehehe it runs in the family so be forewarned!)

Back