Mosquitos In Ba Or Iguazu?

jmbaratta

Registered
Hi BA Expats,

We're currently living in North Carolina, USA, and traveling to Argentina next week for vacation. Two of our stops are in BA and Iguazu. In the US on the news right now we're continuing to hear a lot about mosquitos and Zika--we were just wondering if there are actually mosquitos over there right now given the cooing of temperatures.

Thanks for your input!
John

Yes, I know it's winter but people here are still telling us that there will be mosquitos. I was wondering if there is truth to that so we know what to pack. Thanks!

There shouldn't be many. Yes, we do get mosquitos during winter - it's only when it's really, really cold that the adults die as in below O C. I got bitten the other day in fact but that isn't common. A l little bit of Off or the like should be more than enough protection.

Yes mosquitos are around in Capital right now. I get bitten every few days. There are many more in Tigre and anywhere in the areas directly adjacent to the river. The Zika virus threat is higher in those areas as is rabies and heartworm for animals. Use plenty of repellent in Iguasu.

Iguasu's climate is much warmer. It's 75F today, not at all winter-like.
I don't know about the situation today but they've had lots of cases of dengue and zika in the recent past.

I would expect lots of mosquitoes in Iguazu any time of the year. My wife found catnip oil a good repellant last year.

Very few mosquitos around these days in Buenos Aires. Not 0 but I haven't been bit in at least a month. Iguazu is year round mosquitoville but I wouldn't stress to much about zika unless you're pregnant or planing to become pregnant.

There have only been a handful of confirmed cases of Zika in misiones (the province where iguazu is located).

Back