Most amount of Luggage brought?

legilber

Registered
Just wanted to see the largest amount of luggage that a single person has brought through customs?

I've got 4 large bags and a LED TV... A lot of things are things I've had for years, but others are brand new, but without any tags.

Think Aduana will stop me for the bags? The TV I'm ok paying import fees on, if they make me :) But the rest of the stuff will be going with us when we eventually leave BA..

legilber said:
Just wanted to see the largest amount of luggage that a single person has brought through customs?

I've got 4 large bags and a LED TV... The TV I'm ok paying import fees on, if they make me :)

Another question:

If bringing a TV that costs LESS than US $300 (like a 32"), and you have 3 bags, there's nothing to pay on that, right?

You pay the airline for the bags, but then ya 'tá!, right?

My usual quota is three seventy pound pieces of checked luggage, one carry on and a book bag. My feeling is scruteny has incresed. Most of my stuff is food and more food, with elecronics thrown in for variety. Last two times through have been asked to open one piece of luggage for inspection. No problems encountered. Also have brought a 32 inch LED through and it passed without questioning, stuffed in a jumbo bag. Think they may have missed it. It is all a crap shoot. Have been landing at Terminal B lately and think it is a bigger pain than Terminal A.

Good luck

I think it depends on where you are from and coming from, to be honest with you.

I have always entered BA with luggage on the heavy side, and an amount that would obviously stand out as being a lot for just 1 traveller.

I think some Aduana officers must feel that if you are North American or European, you are probably visiting Argentina on a holiday and aren´t bringing anything questionable in with the intent of leaving it in the country.

The poor Argentine guy infront of me going through Aduana was stopped on about $1,000 worth of skateboarding stuff and 1 Ipad, whereas I had 3 enormous rollerboard suitcases with me, in addition to my carry-on duffel, the Aduana guy glanced at them and said, ¨That is a lot of stuff for 1 person.¨ I smiled back weakly, but he let me pass without so much as opening them or asking any further questions.

Similar scenarios have happened to me, including the one where I was asked, ¨That´s a lot of stuff, are you planning on moving to BA?¨ I honestly responded that yes, I was, and he merely laughed back, I dont think he believed me, and waved me on in.

I really believe that if they are in the mindset that you are entering with the intent of leaving with the stuff that you came in with, and arent going to drop off any Ipads to anyone, they will let you slide.

Napoleon said:
Another question:

If bringing a TV that costs LESS than US $300 (like a 32"), and you have 3 bags, there's nothing to pay on that, right?

You pay the airline for the bags, but then ya 'tá!, right?

Yes, it is just checked luggage.
The slimmest 32 inch I could find that would lay flat in a suitcase was a Samsung model 32d4005. It just fit in a 31 inch suitcase. Name plate indicates 120 volt 60 cycles only. Used a transformer and it works fine on 50 cycles.

They generally don't bother tourists much. Are you traveling alone? If you're with someone else 4 bags doesn't seem as much. I brought in 2 large suitcases and I was about to be searched as the customs lady thought I was traveling with the Argentine girl behind me. I said I wasn't, and after asking if I was a tourist, she let me go on my way. The Argentine girl was searched. :p

I've heard of people bringing five bags though, and when I was at Ezeiza this week I saw people with lots of bags - including one girl who had so many bags piled on her cart, she couldn't even see over them. :) (Not sure how they were treated at customs, though.)

The airline might limit how much you can bring - last I checked American was 1 free bag, with a limit of 4 extra at $30 each.

Last time we came back from a visit to Europe was with 164 kg (2 adults, 2 kids under 2 yrs).... we went out with about a third of that. Mostly books and food, toys which cost a fortune here, and some optics. There was a major problem at EZE with a 2 hour queue. After a while we skipped it and blagged it with our baby and they didn't even scan it in detail.... a result ! Once in Mendoza on a flight from Santiago with a lot of newish optical gear they started to ask me a few questions and I pulled out my passport and spoke my poorest spanish, to see the guy let me through straight away. Act dumb, and show your passport not DNI works miracles.

I have never read of any expat who ended up paying anything flying into EZE and going through customs. Tons of questioning, yes, but always with the "I was just motioned through" in the end. Please share if that's not your case.

My argie already flew back with three bags and he wasn't stopped, but I'm bringing in a baby stroller system, TV, two lap tops (one really is for work), etc. The rest is bascially all clothes so I'm not too worried about that.

The TV is 32" so that I wouldn't have to pay the over-size fee, just the extra baggage. I've called United a few times and they don't know of any bag limit. I just have to pay more and listo!

I figure I'll just be ok if I put on my thick America-Spanish accent and play a little dumb... After two years in BA, I've found that it has helped me quite a bit. Thankfully the blonde hair helps!!! :)

Like everyone else said - use your passport and do not speak Spanish.
I was once called over going through customs - I had been in South Africa for 3 months and was super excited to see my husband on the other side of the door - I started rambling on in English and the guy got nervous and told me to just go.

Back