6. Ushuaia Tierra del Fuego

This is an interesting list and I like to add my thoughts . Underrated

1. Bariloche
2. El Bolson and the comarca andina valley
3. Tandil Buenos Aires
4. Esquel Chubut
5. Salta
6. Ushuaia Tierra del Fuego
I don't feel like Bariloche and Ushuaia are underrated. Most people know how good those places are, even tourists.

I don't feel like Bariloche and Ushuaia are underrated. Most people know how good those places are, even tourists.

Bariloche 30 years was the premier tourist resort of Argentina nowadays its Mar del Plata and Carlos Paz Cordoba . Bariloche imho has enormous potential as a city and tourist destination but due to government policies it has lost its glamour and charm.

Bariloche 30 years was the premier tourist resort of Argentina nowadays its Mar del Plata and Carlos Paz Cordoba . Bariloche imho has enormous potential as a city and tourist destination but due to government policies it has lost its glamour and charm.
Mar Del Plata is chosen not because people underrate Bariloche, but simply because it is more convenient and can be cheaper. Almost anyone I have ever talked to about Bariloche says how nice it is there. I have never had someone say, Bariloche is a crap place to visit. People do rate it, whether they go there or not or is not the topic here.

Mar Del Plata is chosen not because people underrate Bariloche, but simply because it is more convenient and can be cheaper. Almost anyone I have ever talked to about Bariloche says how nice it is there. I have never had someone say, Bariloche is a crap place to visit. People do rate it, whether they go there or not or is not the topic here.
Río Negrinos are very unhappy that there has been so little investment done in Bariloche. It is a attractive city but certainly it could be so much better as it is one of the most beautiful settings of the world .

Río Negrinos are very unhappy that there has been so little investment done in Bariloche. It is a attractive city but certainly it could be so much better as it is one of the most beautiful settings of the world .
Again, that's not what underrating something means. In fact, if they are very unhappy with it and it could be so much better, then they would be rating it correctly. If you know many people are unhappy with investment and openly admit it could be so much better, how can you class it as an underrated place? You make it sound overrated (which it is, by the way).

I am not sure I would agree with this... Mar del Plata has been flocked by tourists in the summer since (at least), the 50s. Bariloche has always been a top destination as well, for internal tourism and Brazilians, but it was traditionally seen as a winter destination only (that may have changed a bit recently).

What did change in Mar del Plata is that it has now become more of a lower to middle income destination. Most upper or upper middle class people who might have gone there up until the 90s would now likely go to Punta del Este or Cariló.

Villa Carlos Paz is indeed “newer” as a destination.

I am not sure I would agree with this... Mar del Plata has been flocked by tourists in the summer since (at least), the 50s. Bariloche has always been a top destination as well, for internal tourism and Brazilians, but it was traditionally seen as a winter destination only (that may have changed a bit recently).

What did change in Mar del Plata is that it has now become more of a lower to middle income destination. Most upper or upper middle class people who might have gone there up until the 90s would now likely go to Punta del Este or Cariló.

Villa Carlos Paz is indeed “newer” as a destination.

Bariloche and the lakes district has been sadly neglected by the Argentinian governments for many generations . Imho it is a great summer destination and the lakes are very clean and have nicer beaches than Mar del Plata ( which I have never visited nor I am interested to visit) . Patagonia is the worlds last frontier for its pristine beauty and its lack of popularity also has its pluses . Chubut is a jewel of a province and you can drive for many miles and not see anyone .

I haven't been to Barloche in about ten years but back then I thought the downtown was a litltle run down and too commercialized but I love the Llao Llao area. The center of Mar del Plata to me is just an ugly city. It was probably nice in the 1950s but I fail to see the attraction nowadays.

1. Carilo
2. Salta
3. La Cumbrecita
4. El Calafate
5. Villa la Angostura

We have close friends in Bariloche and have spent lots of time there. The location is spectacular but the downtown is horrendous. The slums are terrible too...our friends say the crime is some of the worst in Argentina.
I used to love the city of Mendoza, but my last trip was disappointing. It used to have a good vibe but something has been lost there.
Agreed about Mar del Plata. There are a few cool areas, but it feels like a city well past it’s prime. Too bad, because the location is pretty ideal.
I don’t get the Punte del Este thing at all. We’ve given it more than a few chances. Pass.
Unfortunately, although Argentina is full of natural beauty, they just aren’t very good at developing their tourist areas. Luckily, there are some exceptions.

Back