Move to Buenos Aires?

usguy0001

Registered
I have a potential opportunity through my work to do a 6-12 month rotation in Buenos Aires. I've always thought it would be cool to live in a Spanish-speaking foreign country for a bit (given the amount of time I spent learning Spanish) - if anything to immerse myself in a different culture.

However, I am a little bit concerned by things I've read on the forum, namely the significant increase in violence. And based on what I've read in the news, it seems the political and economic situation is a bit unstable.

My question - are these potential concerns enough for me to consider NOT taking this opportunity?

Any thought would be appreciated, especially from those who have actually done this.

Thanks!!

I found this forum about 4 years after I got here. And the discovery that BigDaddy has a crush on me :p

I'm very sorry, I completely ignored your original question. In my honest opinion, I wouldnt worry too much about crime and violence. Just be as sensible as you can and suss out where the worst areas are. I wouldnt say that violence heere is a reason not to consider coming. Economy....well. It's a wee bit daft here. Would you be earning in pesos or dollars?

6-12 months is perfect. You're not really coming here to live, its just another great experience.

Do it.

Don't be overly concerned about crime, its always been here, could get worse but the majority of people visiting Argentina never have a problem, but you do have to be careful. I won't go in to a list of does and don't you can find them here and elsewhere. If you are coming just for a short time I'm sure you'll have a good time. Fatigue with Argentina usually sets in about a year plus into a stay, usually people among who are serious about staying permanently who start to notice the problems when they try to put down roots.

Don't let the crime factor deter you. I lived in various barrios in Buenos Aires for six years, returned to the states four months ago and I'm eager to return to BA. For every cellphone you'll have swiped in Buenos Aires you'll lose ten times the value in the US due to corporate shenanigans and the bankrupt cities gouging you in every way possible.

Baexpats is a very valuable resource but it reminds me of online health sites where the perpetually sick and infirm incessantly post about their multiple maladies. The healthier folks don't post and so the info provided gets skewed. I'm not saying there aren't problems with crime and other issues in BA, but I don't see it as much different than many large cities the world over.

Luck !

I would say definitely come. I was in the same position as you before I came out. I had the opportunity to come out here for 6 - 12 months and was pretty undecided. I'm here since 2 months now and have no regrets. I don't think you need worry about the economy here if you are paid in dollars and you still have a job to come back to in US. Just look at it as an extended holiday. Also, I haven't experienced any violence in Bs As although you do need to be careful in certain areas, but that is the case in every city, not just here! You have to remember that Bs As is ca. 14 million people so of course you will hear all sorts of frightening stories if you look for them. If you were to read about what happens in NY everyday nobody would go there either.

If you will be here for 6-12 months and being paid in US dollars, don't even think twice, just come. I am on the same situation and I am having a blast.

For sure you must come...we all risk our lives every second of every day no matter whather we stay in our home countries, at home, in bed..so better to run that risk having a unique Argentinean experience no?

These sorts of lists crack me up and help put these non statistical forums stories into context:

See http://danger.mongabay.com/injury_death.htmThe most common causes of death due to injury in the United States

And I DO think having read this forum will serve you well as you are now aware of potential crime issues and the need to be safe in Bsas which I sadly wasnt when I arrived and resulted in my being robbed on the 1st day. Being forewarned and conscientious is the ideal here. It doesn't sgop you enjoying life here and in fact it will help you enjoy it more.

Back