Moved Here From California

Eugenia

Registered
I have been in BA for about 2 months now. It is such a beautiful city but the transition has been a challenge since I am alone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Eugenia,

What are you doing here? Working? Studying?

If you could explain a bit more what kind of advice you were looking for that would help. What has been a challenge so far? Looking to make friends?

Where are you living? WHat are you doing? How old are you and what do you like to do for fun? I am from California too!!

I work from home, I live in Recoleta and I speak Spanish like a 2nd grader...lol I am not young but certainly not old! This is my so called "Under the Tuscan Sun" adventure via Buenos Aires. Starting a new life. I am originally from San Francisco but moved here from Hollywood.

well drop by one these pub chats and coffee chats listed on the forum page..........that would be a good start at getting out..... well good luck.. and enjoy Argentina!!!

I moved to Buenos Aires from San Francisco but have been condemned to a year in Texas (long story). :) If you work from home, which I did for most of the time, the challenge will be meeting people.

Not sure how long you plan on staying, but I would suggest doing everything you can to improve your Spanish as soon as possible. Once you are able to function in Spanish, start taking classes: languages, yoga, martial arts, music, etc. Whatever you are interested in is probably available somewhere in Buenos Aires. It's an excellent way to meet people, especially locals, with similar interests.

Yes, Spanish has been my biggest hurdle for sure! I am working on it. Thanks for the pep talk

I dance tango and have an incredible social life in the milongas. I came up through the Milonguero system at El Beso and recommend going there on Monday nights to learn. Being a beginner in the tango scene can be frustrating, but pays off in the long run. Spanish takes a very long time to learn, but luckily the locals appreciate it if you are trying. I live with two Argentine women and they prefer to practice their English with me to speaking Castellano. I try to study and practice speaking everyday which is easy to do in the milongas.

Ditto. Practice castellano as much as you can. And peruse the forum and the different threads and you'll find the answers to many questions you have as well as many, many people with experience offering all kinds of advice. It's the Lonely Planet Guide to BA.

Back