Moving A Family To Buenos Aires?

delancepants

Registered
Hi there,

We are an expat family of 4 (2 small boys) living in Kolkata, India. I was recently diagnosed with asthma due to the pollution and so we have set about looking for somewhere with cleaner air and Buenos Aires seems to be a possibility. However, having just started looking into it, I have seen some negative comments with regard to moving a family to BA. I forget which website I saw these comments but they date back to 2012. Apparently at that time many expat families were moving away as they felt it was becoming unsafe due to political instability and rising crime. Obviously this concerns me greatly and it would definitely put me off. Can anyone give me an idea as to whether this is still the situation or has the trouble blown over?

Many thanks,

Lia

I don't want to put you off, but environmentally-wise Argentina is not very sensitive like some other places in Europe. There is a large metropolis, Buenos Aires, in a second world country (less controls, less transparency), and then lots of countryside. If you can live in the countryside, then it could work for your asthma. I am thinking maybe in Pilar or some place in the outskirts of Buenos Aires. Or if you work remotely, then in Patagonia (Bariloche and the like) you should be able to find a lot of nature, smaller towns, and more safety... however you will be far from everything and social life could be challenging.

As for safety, I think no improvement have been made since 2012.

If health is your primary reason to move, Buenos Aires - despite it's name - is probably the worst place to go to in Argentina... The country-side might be a way better option.

Among the biggest cities air in Buenos Aires isn't too bad, but there is like 99.9999% of the world that still has better air. Argentina isn't cheap nor very safe, has a lot of regulations and the only pro I can see is mild migration politics and still safer and more organised than third world countries. But costs of life put Argentina in first world anyway,without other benefits if it...

Maybe check out Uruguay. Much cleaner air and less crime. There is no paradise on Earth though.

Calcutta is rated no. 39, worldwide, with a pollution index of 83.39

Buenos Aires is no. 124, with a pollution index of 64.72

So BA is definitely cleaner.

Cost depends on how you want to live.

http://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings.jsp

My husband hadn't had problems with his asthma in years until we moved to BA. Unfortunately, it was even worse in the countryside, because then the new pollens kicked in with the allergies. He ended up using an inhaler. I would look somewhere else with truly Good Air.

Buenos Aires is a better place than Calcutta(Kolkata why do they change the spelling ?) in many ways. Come to Argentina!

If you can move to Córdoba, move there. I know a family that just moved there from BsAs because of the same problem as you describe. Its apparently known for its clean air.

Back