Moving a family to Uruguay v BA

mmoon

Registered
Hi all, we have some friends who are planning on moving with their three kids to South America for a year (for a myriad of reasons it can’t be longer). We have tons of advice for them about living in BA, but they are seriously considering Uruguay. Any help or advice on schooling (public, private, international, online) would be particularly appreciated. We are very familiar with the more touristy aspects of Uruguay, but is it realistic to move from the US there for a short time? What is the visa process like? How is the expat community? Are there good options for where to live besides Montevideo? The family does speak some Spanish but are not fluent. Thanks for the help.

There is a FB group of Expats living in Uruguay... I am sure they will be able to answer your questions ;)

Any options for non-Facebook users? Thx.
As one Fb refusenik to another.... ;)

A google search under Uruguay Expats brings up expatexchange.com which is an international forum with a Uruguay section and expat.com which seems to be much the same though I've never used it before.

There used to be a more personal forum which was hosted on the website of a small Uruguay business run by an expat but I'm not sure if it is still going and I can't remember its name, sorry!

As one Fb refusenik to another.... ;)

A google search under Uruguay Expats brings up expatexchange.com which is an international forum with a Uruguay section and expat.com which seems to be much the same though I've never used it before.

There used to be a more personal forum which was hosted on the website of a small Uruguay business run by an expat but I'm not sure if it is still going and I can't remember its name, sorry!

Thanks! One of the reasons I posted here is because not much came up on a google search. I thought there might be some families on this site who chose BA but considered Uruguay and had some specific info...

URU is in many way far ahead of Argentina. Rock solid power, incredible internet speeds, USD is not an issue, many expats, far more speak English , for the most part they have good manners and more. Down side, expensive, crime, they drive like they a blind and they are not easily approachable as Argentinians in most cases. Honestly I would rather live there but that is not possible at the moment.

I think "refusing" to use facebook as a source (which is very different from becoming addicted) is kind of silly. Many groups on facebook are viewable without being a member. But often, a group like the Uruguay expats group is "public", which means anyone can read. You can join, post, and then log out and never log in again, if you feel that threatened.
The Uruguay group has almost 300 members, so your potential reach if you ask a question there is pretty broad.
Just like the BA facebook group (which you do have to be on Facebook to post, but not read) has 11,000 members, as opposed to maybe 100 regulars here.
It just makes sense that if you are trying to ask questions of a broader group, you go to more trafficked venues.

Nobody will force you to take pictures of all your meals, or argue about politics on facebook, you can log on only when you want to use it, and never log on again. No biggie.

Hi all, we have some friends who are planning on moving with their three kids to South America for a year (for a myriad of reasons it can’t be longer). We have tons of advice for them about living in BA, but they are seriously considering Uruguay. Any help or advice on schooling (public, private, international, online) would be particularly appreciated.

Guru guay link

Back