Moving Back To The Usa, How To Get Rid Of Pesos Best

Azagarth

Registered
Simply put, my wife finally got her tourist visa so we are moving for 6 months to the states and then to Mexico until her immigrant visa gets done. We had not really thought that she would actually get the tourist visa being my wife, but it's an medical emergency so they allowed it.

This leaves me with about 20k pesos and I have no clue what to do with them. What is the best way to get my pesos turned back into usable dollars? Here's some ideas of thought of but I am unsure if there are better.

1. Cueva- fast but in the end I'm probably losing a lot over other ways.

2. Tarjeta naranja. Luckily my wife has a 5k peso limit. I was originally thinking of leaving the 20k with her parents and then just using the card in the states to rebuy all I wanted to and then the rates like 11. I am really confused about this though and if it's even possible. What drawbacks is there to this? Will the govt allow her to do it?

3. Change in bank - will they allow her to since she has an actual tuorist visa, and will 1 week time be enough to? I know Argentina is slow if we have to fill out any type of paperwork.

4. Take to USA - are there any places that actually buy pesos now? I know in the Atlanta airport I sold a few pesos once, but that's while back.

Let me know what y'all think, or advice you can give. We leave in a week and the money is super needed as my mom has cancer and I will be helping her out financially.

My vote is max out the credit card..you still have an advantage, and you have no worries

1. I go for 2 if tarjeta naranja if it can be used in the USA ,
  2. Give the 20K to someone here that can deposit in your/Relatives USA account at a $12.50 perhaps per dollar.
  3. we are talking of less that $2000 bucks go to Casa Lopez and buy a few 4 ladies leather bags or attache cases or camperas to sell in the USA. at a profit

Take also into account the time needed to spend those 20K with a card (peso will keep devaluating quickly).

(3) of Rich One sounds the best one to me (anything you can buy here and resell with a profit)

I have no idea what sells for a profit from here, but that could be a great idea. Any suggestions other than the bag? I have no idea about that stuff.

I got easily 2000 dollars worth of stuff to buy in the next month so the card would be great. I just am unsure if there is any worry to this. Will she be hit hard by the govt come taxes or anything?

I have no idea what sells for a profit from here, but that could be a great idea. Any suggestions other than the bag? I have no idea about that stuff.

My husband and I are in a very similar situation. He just got reimbursed for a bunch of business expenses from the past four months and suddenly we have gone from living frugally to having spare pesos and we leave in less than two months...too bad they are worthless everywhere but here, right? So after weighing our options (cueva, etc.) we decided that we're gonna see how we progress up until our flight and if we still have pesos left (we will), we may buy leather goods to sell in the U.S. Jackets, shoes, anything really. Search the forum and you will find recommendations for these places. I can tell you that at Murillo 666 women's bags were going for around 800 pesos and one of the men's leather jackets was 2250 pesos when we recently went on a reconnaissance mission. I know, there are other leather stores, but if you put Murillo 666 in the eBay description people will be able to Google the place and see that it's legit. Here: http://www.murillo666.com.ar

Neither of us currently have an Argentine credit card, though, so this certainly influences our decision-making process.

and why not buy dollar oficial filling the form with AFIP? 8 pesos/dollar its not too bad

I got easily 2000 dollars worth of stuff to buy in the next month so the card would be great. I just am unsure if there is any worry to this. Will she be hit hard by the govt come taxes or anything?

well hard to believe you cant think ! leather jackets are a must! send some links of stores here to friends and relatives to choose products abd sizes.

Back