Moving to Argentina how do I keep a US phone number?

Feather

Registered
Hello… my partner and I are going to be relocating to BA, and I am looking for information on keeping our US phone numbers. We plan on getting local numbers as well but would like to keep our current in order to receive 2FAs. I am having a hard time finding a plan that won’t cancel after 6 months of being out of the country, any suggestions?

Does prepaid Work? Add some credit every few months.
I’m looking into it right now I just found a company called ultra mobile that looks like it might have prepaid international plans.

All you need is international SMS receiving, you can top up on local credit to keep the Sim active

All you need is international SMS receiving, you can top up on local credit to keep the Sim active
Where would I port my number to though, so that the US plan wouldn’t cancel after 6 months? Have you heard anything about google voice numbers? I was thinking about porting my number to them.

I’m looking into it right now I just found a company called ultra mobile that looks like it might have prepaid international plans.
Don't use ultra mobile...I've tried and they don't work to receive the texts you need...however, the sister company called Mint works great and is only $15 a month

I've used both companies but mint is the only one that works. I tried to get ultra mobile to work for over a year to no avail...after porting my 15 year old cell number to them they couldn't even port it to another carrier... illegal of course to not be able to do that but eventually I gave up and got a new number with Mint.

Last edited:
I've used both companies but mint is the only one that works.
Are you connecting to local cell towers with your phone, or are you using Wi-Fi calling? How much does it cost?

if you have a dual sim phone, you could keep USA number on esim and get a local sim for data. that was my approach after Google fi busted me for being out of the US too long using their data. no issue with using the phone service however.

I don't know why a regular US carrier would just cancel your service though. they should be happy to just charge you international rates for your usage?

Back