Moving To Argentina Soon, Any Advice?

cmf33

Registered
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are due to move to Argentina in January, and the plan is to stay for a while (i.e. a couple of years, if possible). I was wondering if anyone who lives there could give me any advice on our job prospects?

He's hoping to get a proper job (i.e. with a work visa), which I realise is really difficult for a foreigner. However, do you think the fact that he speaks Spanish might help? He's a mechanical engineer with fluent English, French and Spanish. He hasn't had much luck in his job search so far, but we reckoned it'd probably be a lot easier once we are actually in Argentina and he can meet potential employers in person.

My plan is to carry on freelancing for companies in Europe and hopefully to pick up some more freelancing work in Argentina too (I'm a translator).

We are also considering living somewhere other than BA if there are more engineering opportunities there (such as Cordoba or Mendoza, for example).

Does anyone have any advice? Do you think we have a good chance of making enough to live off? We aren't moving in order to make loads of money, but we want to have enough to have a small flat and live fairly ok (we aren't big spenders).

I also have a TEFL qualification, but I'm not massively keen on the idea of teaching English, and would prefer to rely on translation if possible (does anyone know if there is a lot of demand for native English translators in Argentina?)

Thanks! Sorry if this isn't in the right forum, I wasn't sure where to post it. Any advice on Argentina (inc. jobs and places to live) would be really welcome!

All the specific questions you are asking are answered in multiple threads. Use the search function and you'll see them all discussed in excruciating detail. A few things I'll add:

If you can work freelance being paid in Euros, why would you want to find work here where you will be paid *significantly* less. I would suggest strengthening your contacts there because you will need them to survive here where the local currency is worthless and worth less every day. (I get paid in pesos.)

Without a work visa, it's going to be hard for your boyfriend to find work as a mechanical engineer. I would suggest looking for European companies that are willing to transfer/hire him here. Various automakers, for example, have plants here. Beyond that, local companies are probably looking to hire Argentines rather than foreigners.

And lastly, I always tell people they should come to Argentina, though you'll probably hear people telling you to not come. However, the next 2 months - 2 years are going to be pretty ugly I'm afraid.

I traveled five times to Buenos Aires in three years before I decided to move from the USA. I suggest a visit first.

Those working as certified public translators charge set fees: 170 pesos per document.

Plus you have to be matriculado in the Colegio de Traductores públicos in order to work here as a translator.

I can say that if you don't have work set up before you get here, it will be extremely difficult to get a visa or get hired. It's much easier if you get a job before you come. I really recommend that you try to work via internet and get paid back home in the currency there. Also, the pay here is terrible. Your boyfriend is better off trying to get some kind of visa, learning Spanish, and then starting his own business here than trying to get work.

Plus you have to be matriculado in the Colegio de Traductores públicos in order to work here as a translator.

You have to be "matriculado" to be a *public* translator. There is a lot of translation work that doesn't require a public translator. The point is that NONE of it (public or not) pays well in Argentina.

Carry on freelancing for companies in Europe, but have business in BsAs.
Or do freelance work here online for companies in Europe or US. People who do that have
better income in general.
You should just visit first.

(I know someone who works for an embassy of an European country
after he arrives here, he is from Europe, and the embassy tries to pay him the
local people rate, in pesos, so in general it's not that easy, that's why many services are
cheaper here)

Back