Moving to Argentina

Math1983

Registered
Hey after skimming through the posts i noticed some knowledgeable people here, and great answers so hope to get some great advice here.

I red it's a 90 visa free arrival for EU citizens, do i need an outgoing flight ticket, and after the 90 days can i easily extend and get a new 90 days? If so after that period, can i fly across the border and obtain again in the same method another 180 days total. Reason is i love to stay 1 year there, and since i am working as a digital nomad, i won't be able to apply for a work visa, and i assume i am too old for a student visa.

I assume if i rent a 1 bedroom apartment i can make due with a 1k USD budget a month, as i have red people make like 430 Euro a month there net? And how do i go about finding an apartment before arrival, so i don't have to stay in hotels for weeks and search after my arrival?

Also is there a group that set up meet ups and so, it would be nice to meet some people there from the start.

TY

Some brief points:
  1. Many airlines will deny you boarding unless you have a ticket departing Argentina within 90 days.
    Any travel agent worth his salt (cough, cough) can help you with that, though. Not to mention possibly get you a cheaper ticket here btw.
  2. Far easier to simply leave and reenter the country (a $50 boat ride to Uruguay - no flight required) rather than get yourself a prorroga (extension).
  3. Every time you are reentering the country, especially the 3rd and 4th times, you are ever-so-slightly tempting fate. The immigration officer has discretion to determine that you are a de facto resident abusing the tourist facility, and so deny you entry.
    The probability this will happen is not high, but is decidedly non-zero.
  4. Should you not heed point 2, that will probably make point 3 more acute, in that you will be on their radar more, having already gone through some tramites (bureaucratic procedures).
Hope this helps.

i assume i am too old for a student visa.

To get a student visa you have to be enrolled as a student in Argentina. it doesn't matter how old you are.

I assume if i rent a 1 bedroom apartment i can make due with a 1k USD budget a month, as i have red people make like 430 Euro a month there net?

People who make "like 430 Euro a month (t)here net" aren't renting one bedroom furnished apartments unless they have at least one flatmate.

And how do i go about finding an apartment before arrival, so i don't have to stay in hotels for weeks and search after my arrival?

airbnb

Also is there a group that set up meet ups and so, it would be nice to meet some people there from the start.

Enter the words "coffee chat" in a search and search in titles only.

PS: Unless you can increase your budget by at least 50% (or live with flatmates), you probably won't like "moving to Argentina" enough to stay for more than six months...and the "best" six months (in IMO) are mid October through mid April.

PS2: Being from the USA, if I was a "digital nomad" I'd spend those six months of the years in Argentina and the other six months somewhere warmer, but not the USA...to avoid paying income taxes in either country and not play "dice games" with the immigration or tax authorities wherever I was living.

Last edited:
PS2: Being from the USA, if I was a "digital nomad" I'd spend those six months of the years in Argentina and the other six months somewhere warmer, but not the USA...to avoid paying income taxes in either country and not play "dice games" with the immigration or tax authorities wherever I was living.

Not sure what you mean.
Surely you are aware that if you’re from the USA, you’re on the hook for taxes regardless of where you’re residing.

Not sure what you mean.
Surely you are aware that if you’re from the USA, you’re on the hook for taxes regardless of where you’re residing.

Not necessarily.

I'm not sure what the current figure is, but (unless the laws have been changed recently) there is an income tax exemption of over $100K per year for anyone "from the USA" who is living (aka residing) outside of the USA more than 335 days of the year.

PS: That's why, if I was a "digital nomad" I would spend just under six months of the year in Argentina and at least five months of the year in another country (or countries) and never more than 30 days of the year in the USA.

It appears you are correct. I did not know this.

If I understand correctly, the exemption applies to earned income. If you're from the USA you might have to pay FICA (and perhaps the Medicare tax) on your foreign earnings, but only if you are not paying a similar tax on the "other" counties in which you are living.

Also not of center? Like even around the center that's not possible? TY
Living in the center would not be an enjoyable experience (IMO), especially at night.

San Telmo would be a better choice, but you probably won't find a one bedroom apartment that would leave enough of your $1K a month to live on.

Back