Moving to BA and looking for a job

Tracey

Registered
Hello, I am going to be moving to BA in March, and am trying to set up some job interviews before I get there. I have been in touch with a headhunter - but she will only match people to jobs she has on her books. I am looking for a recruitment consultant who will proactively sent my CV out to prospective employers. Can anyone can recommend someone? I am a lawyer and accountant, but have been more recently working in law firms and in legal departments in banks as a knowledge management lawyer and also a business development director. Thanks! Tracey

Hi Tracey, I am glad there are no other replies to your
post...yet. The attack dogs must be sleeping in this morning. As you
write in almost perfect English ("knowledge management?"), I am going to assume you are not Argentine. If you
were Argentine why would you post here? Anyway, are you aware that you
can't just come here and "get a job" without first applying for and
receiving an Argentine work visa in your home country, and that
presupposes you already have a job with a company that is registerd to
do business in Argentina. Yes, some foreigners come here and work
"under the table" (usually teaching English), but it is inconceivable
that you would find work in an Argentine law firm or bank. Even if you
did, the entry level pay would be abysmal, probably less than $1000US
per month. Without a job, a residency visa to live here requires a
passive income from an annuity or trust of about $1000 per month.

I am curious. Have you
done any research regarding residency (including work) visas? Actually, I find it
difficult to believe this is a serious post. If it is, I wonder how
you made the decision to "move" here in the first place. I wish you
well. I have made several detailed posts about the visa process.
Please refer to them and if you have any questions please, just ask.
Suerte! Steve

fishface, thanks for the clarification...do you know if "knowledge management" has become a high paying position in Argentine corporations?

Does "knowledge management" include the topic of immigration law?

Now I am definitely being ironic.

Quoting "Fishface":
". . . 'knowledge management' . . . is a new 'profession' in big corporations today."
I'm not being ironic but am ignorant of this new term (save, possibly, as applicable to what each of us does every day) -- and I work as a lawyer here in the States! Is "knowledge management" what 'til recently had for a decade or two been called "information management"?

Thanks both for the feedback. I was in BA a few months ago and had an interview with an international law firm. I also have interest from another law firm, but they want to interview me in person and I am now back in Australia. So how I get a job lined up in BA without returning and with a visa in hand is beyond me! BTW I have worked in London and Hong Kong - call it knowhow, knowledge management, information management - all the same....

Tracey, you can return to Bs.As. and interview on just a tourist's visa: no law against that, a friend who's an abogado porteño assures me (not quite the same as American federal law or, perhaps, Australian). So you've the added expense and time of another trip, but, hey, look at it as an opportunity to enjoy autumn in the Paris of the South! (Plus, you could line up an apartment if the job comes through soon enough after the interview.)

Thanks, Tracey, for letting me know that "knowledge management" is the same as what is termed "information management" in the States.

I see your post was serious and I think I can add a little info that will be helpful. Before you return to Argentina in March, be sure to have a recent (2000 or later) official copy your birth certificate as well as a police report from Australia stating that you have no criminal record for the past five years (both documents need the seal of the Apostille in Australia). This way, if you do find a job here, you may save yourself a return trip to Austrailia....or, at the least, the time and expense of getting the documents sent here. You MAY be able to do the rest here, but still may have to leave Argentina to "pick up" the work visa. I read one post on this site last year by a member who only had to go to the Argentine consulate in Uruguay to pick up his work visa. I have no personal experience with work visas (only the visa rentista). As I've written in my previous posts, everyone I dealt with at migraciones was friendly and no one asked me for $pecial consideration. If you need help with any of this (including the woman who went to migaciones with me to translate) just send me a note. Also, you will need to have your Austrailian documents (including your passport) translated by a licensed Argentine translator and "legalized" copies made here. You will only need one copy of the police report for migraciones, but you will need a second set of official copies of your passport and birth certificate for the regristro de las personas (for your DNI).

Once you find a job, I imagine your prospective employer would help you with the imigration process, but don't be "fooled" into paying a "lawyer" hundrds if not thousands of dollars to "assist you. The workers at migraciones dont care if you have a lawyer with you or not. They only care about the paperwork. Getting a visa is not a judicial process.If you are told that ALL visas must be applied for and received OUTSIDE of Argentina, don't give up. I applied for AND received my visa here. In fact, when I extended my 90 day tourist visa, the representative at migraciones told me I could apply for the visa here and go to Uruguay to pick it up..if necessary. She was only in charge of prorragas de permanencia and not resident visas. To my delight, I was given the visa here.

stevebsas - do you need to get the argentine legalized translation done before the apostille or after?
who did your translation - how much they charge?

The docs have to receive the seal of Apostille in the country of origin: in Tracey's case that would be Australia, and the translation can be done here after she arrives. It may be possible to have them translated in Austraila, but it would be wise to check with the Argentine consulate there. There are MANY translators in BA (do a google search...pages ar). I think the rate for translation and legalization was (combined) about 50 pesos per page, but I recently read that prices have gone up considerably since I completed the process. I suggest getting prices from several individuals.
I am sure that a work visa will also require letters and other docs from her employer. For obvious reasons, if they originate here, I don't think they need the Apostille or translation. They would probably require some kind of certification, nonetheless, but I do not know the exact details. I just suggested that Tracey bring the birth certificate and police report (with Apostille) with her when she comes in March. It might save a lot of time, trouble and extra travel in the future.

Back