moving to BA in a year...

Jaywbuchanan

Registered
Hello everyone, just checking into this forum for the first time. I am currently looking into moving to BA in a year and I am just looking for as much info as possible. How do I rent a place for a year? What's a good area to look in? Will I need a car?

Also I am going to be bringing my 2 dogs, I am curious about people's experience with flying animals into BA, also how is BA for dogs? Are there parks around for them? Is it animal friendly?

I figure even though it's a year away I need to start planning, making connections, and thinking about all the details now.

Also, just curious what are some things people just love about BA?? What are good things to do there for fun? Is there alot of good food? I have been bouncing back and forth between moving to Santiago, and BA. Though I really feel BA would be better for me the more I investigate.

Thanks for the input and the help.

Jay:)

We will be able to provide a lot more information if you let us know why you've decided to come to BA for a year...(drink mate, work, study, teach English, experience a different culture, choke on truck and bus exhaust, learn the language, trip and fall on broken sidewalks, step in other people's dog shit (if you pick up after yours), dance tango, get robbed or ripped off, chase mean women (based on my own experience), buy an apartment, lay awake all night listening to your neighbors music or dog, lose your rental deposit, chase men, eat bland food, have "cheap sex" with incredibly beautiful prostitutes, etc.).

It seems to me that you should just search out keywords and start reading threads. Most of the questions that you have have been discussed at length around these parts, so maybe after spending some time perusing the content of the site you'll have more specific questions? and in this expat opinion, no, there is not a lot of good food. There are the Three P's (Pizza, Pasta, Parilla--empanadas get lumped in there somewhere). Be prepared to miss the concept of "different flavors" unless you are willing to make your own.

Is BA dog friendly, lol? Just walk down any street and look down....a habit you'll soon get into.

As others said, it's all here if you search. I'll just confirm that your choice of BA over Santiago is a good one for most. It's much more interesting with much more to do, better energy, nicer people and generally better food except for Santiago's seafood which is largely absent in Baires.

When anyone tells you prices, add 30% if it will be a year before you arrive. Prices are high and going up fast. This city used to be a bargain for Americans and most Europeans, but very few things remain cheap.

If you're from NYC or SF and selling a house there to buy one here, it's a steal. Otherwise don't plan to lower your cost of living much.

I appreciate all the responses. I am coming to work on my spanish, explore the culture, see the sights, teach english, drink wine... etc, etc, etc... I appreciate the horrible bits people threw in, but your explaining any big city... I'm more interested in hearing the good things about BA since I've made up my mind. And it's good to know BA is a better choice than Santiago, I've heard that a couple times and each additional time just makes me feel that much better. I lived in San Fran for a while so I am used to high prices. Also where I am now is very expensive, and I am not coming to BA for the bargains. I also feel like its hard to believe there is no good food... How can that be?

Jaywbuchanan;113953 ...I also feel like its hard to believe there is no good food... How can that be?[/quote said:
Of course there is good food. But food is more than what you eat, it's part of the culture too. If you want to do the 'Accidental Tourist' thing and live in a bubble where you pretend you haven't really left the States, you are going to find it very, very hard to mimic how you shopped and ate back home. But if you live like an Argentine, cook like an Argentine from food you've bought in the shops and street stalls like an Argentine and embrace the taste of the Argentine then you have miriad treats in store.

Have you been to BsAs before?

Lots of great things here but I wouldn't put variety of food on that list;) That being said, if you cook your own, not an issue.

BsAs is very dog-friendly but you may have challenges finding an apt that will accept 2 dogs.

I would never, ever commit to a year in a new place, much less a new country, much less one that inspires as much intense love or hate as Argentina, without visiting first. Especially if you're hauling down 2 dogs. Personally, I'd advise spending a couple of months here, THEN deciding whether you want to stay.

And yes, the food is terrible. The Argentine palate is notoriously incurious -- never ceases to amaze me how much red meat, ham, white bread, French fries, and pizza locals can eat without getting bored. There's also a weird love affair with mayonnaise that I don't understand. That said, in-season produce at the verduleria is excellent and cheap, and you can find all of the spices you need to prepare meals to your own liking.

Jeez - why all the hatred people? There are a lot of great things about BA.

Here's what I like:

Good Weather: Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter. Generally sunny.

Vibrant Expat Community: I love my expat friends. They are generally smart, fun, and interesting people. By the very nature that we left our home countries and came here to live we have something in common.

No Need to Get a Visa: You can easily live in Argentina for years without getting residency.

Dating: The combination of intrigued locals and expats/tourists makes the dating scene in BA very vibrant for singles.

Still Cheap in Many Ways: Yes things are getting more expensive, but BA is still relatively cheap in a lot of ways. Bus fare = 1.2 pesos (30 cents), maid service = 15 pesos per hour (3.5 dollars), decent wine = 18 pesos ($4.00).

Living in Another Country: Finally, just the concept of living in another country is awesome and continually engaging. The good part of BA is that there is now such a strong expat community that you can have a support structure with many like-minded people. Now there are some say that one should not hang out with expats to get the 'real' Argentine experience. That though is more of a matter of personal opinion.

I'm for one, very happy to be here and plan on staying indefinitely. I recommend living here to many of my friends back home.

Back