Moving to BA in February to teach English

Jeff.Zorrilla

Registered
Hello, I am currently taking my TEFL certification training in New York City in preparation for my move to BA to work for 6 months as an English teacher. I just wanted to introduce myself as I am sure I will be posting more in the future. If anyone can give me info about what I should do about finding a job before I leave New York I would appreciate it.

Thank you all,

Jeff Zorrilla

Are you aware of the cost of living in BA? Are you aware of inflation in BA? Are you aware of the salaries that English teachers make in BA? Are you planning to support yourself on your English teacher´s salary? Are you aware of the requirements of getting the appropriate vias to enable you to work in Argentina. Two words come to mind...FORGET IT

fred mertz said:
Are you aware of the cost of living in BA? Are you aware of inflation in BA? Are you aware of the salaries that English teachers make in BA? Are you planning to support yourself on your English teacher´s salary? Are you aware of the requirements of getting the appropriate vias to enable you to work in Argentina. Two words come to mind...FORGET IT

Give the guy a break ..... Life is about change and experience not only MONEY

Well there are a lot of people living here and teaching English so it can be done.....Jeff didn't say what living requirements he had, renting a room isn't too expensive and the subte (subway) is still cheap. I suggest reading Yillabean's blog about her experiences: http://yillabean.blogspot.com/

Jeff.Zorrilla said:
If anyone can give me info about what I should do about finding a job before I leave New York I would appreciate it.

Hi Jeff,

Just enter the words "teaching English" in the search box and start reading.

Here's another thread I found by entering "finding work English" in another search.

Finding work as an English Teacher in B.A.

PS: I agree with both Perry and Fred (to some extent). If you can live frugally for those six months, coming to BA will be an experience you will never forget and probably enjoy very much. You may find it challenging to find employment teaching English. Some expats have been able to find individual clients and some have indeed found work at institutes, but I don't know how many of them were able to get a work permit from migraciones (making it legal for them to be working).

Good luck! :)

Also: I think six months is a great amount of time to "move" to Buenos Aires. It's better to miss BA after you leave than regret you came here in the first place (staying too long can have that effect). Be extra careful, however, if you must live frugally. A cheap apartment could be an instant nightmare and even saving a few bucks on the way home could prove costly: one member was robbed of his backpack containing his cameraa and computer at the Retiro station (in a "bird poop" scam) when he was trying to save some money by taking a bus (instead of a taxi) to the airport on his last day in BA. I suggest you only rent by the month (at least at first) and have a return ticket that you can change. Be prepared to spend between $700 and $1000 USD per month to live in BA (that's with a shared apartment). You should have that money in the bank before you arrive and expect all of it to be spent by the time you leave (even if you don't work you can still enjoy yourself and not worry about the basics).

Hia

I did enjoy Fred's post and I do agree with it. If you do not have additional funds it will be difficult to survive on a TELF income.

All the hopefuls that were on my TELF course here two years ago have now gone home, half of them did not even do any teaching at all.

This is just being realistic about income. Otherwise I hope you have a great time here.

I've read a lot of posts on this forum warning people against coming to BA to teach English, but I wanted to offer a few words of encouragement. I've been here for almost three months, and I've had an excellent experience so far. For people who come here with no training or experience and expect to find a job teaching English, it is probably very difficult, but with a TEFL certificate you shouldn't have any problems. I had about a year of experience teaching English in the States before coming here, and I've had plenty of job offers.

As for the cost of living, it is more expensive than many people realize before arriving here, but you can certainly live on a teacher's salary. You should know that institutes pay monthly, so it's a good idea to have a few thousand dollars in the bank to get yourself started, but you don't need to have enough savings to support yourself for the entire duration of your stay. You won't make enough money to support a lavish lifestyle, but you certainly won't starve. As long as you're willing to live somewhat frugally and work hard for your salary (that's part of the experience, right?), you should be completely fine. Feel free to contact me for more information!

Good move to Argentina,

Here is another perspective from a Texan I met teaching in Buenos Aires: http://2sporks1cup.com/?p=2672 And my personal experience looking for work as a teacher in BA over 6 months ago:http://2sporks1cup.com/?p=824 Not very positive for me, but it´s my perspective.

I´m currently in Cordoba and have met a couple of teachers here as well, the rent is cheaper, the work seems to be more available (one of the people got a few jobs without any training as a teacher through ESL).

Just something to consider, Cordoba is ok, but BA has a lot more to offer (my opinion only) plenty of people love this city.

All the best and enjoy the journey.

Back